Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Grouping Layers

Apologies if this has been covered before but: I'm finding that as I get to grips with Xara more and more I'm making more complex things and using layers for everything to make editing easier. Wouldn't it be great if: we could group layers into folders as in PS6, and then be able to toggle the groups on and off as well as just the individual elements. Failing that, it would be handy to have a feature that would lock all layers. This would make it easier if we just wanted access to one layer whilst leaving the rest locked. Is this one for the wish list do you think?

Apologies if this has been covered before but: I'm finding that as I get to grips with Xara more and more I'm making more complex things and using layers for everything to make editing easier. Wouldn't it be great if: we could group layers into folders as in PS6, and then be able to toggle the groups on and off as well as just the individual elements. Failing that, it would be handy to have a feature that would lock all layers. This would make it easier if we just wanted access to one layer whilst leaving the rest locked. Is this one for the wish list do you think?

You already have this available in the Layer Gallery, but it's a toggle called "Edit All Layers".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layerGallery.gif 
Views:	369 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	830  

Right enough Ric, but more often than not I want to lock all layers, then toggle one on, to change a background colour for instance.

James,

In case you were not aware. You can add names to objects (or the same name to serveral objects), then select the objects by name via the Name Gallery (Ctrl+Shift+F9). This allows you two methods of classifying your objects. For example if you were making a layout of cars, you could assign each manufacturer (Ford, Honda, Toyota) to a different LAYER and the type of car (truck, sedan, station wagon) to a NAME category . In another situation you may want to tag all objects with that have a stained-glass transparency with a unique name.

Just like chip in to say that that is a feature I would love to see in xara. I have used it lots over the years with Painter.

Huge Regards
    Dave

As I am becoming more proficient with XaraX, I have recently discovered the Layer Gallery and it has been an invaluable tool.

Making things 'un-movable' (un-editable) so I can work over them is only one of the things that makes this such a valuable tool to get used to using.

Learn, learn, learn

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I would second this request to make a bundle of layers in a single folder and another in another. I was just thinking of something like that a couple of days ago

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

use layers to "lock all layers, then toggle one on, to change a background colour..." That is a fundamental aspect of using Xara's layers with its object-oriented approach to drawings. While it doesn't make sense to put everything on its own layer, you can very effectively use layers to make it convienient to select and modify elements that would be otherwise very difficult to select.

I work with layers almost all the time. I rarely find them frustrating. I've been trying to think of the benefits of 'foldering' sets of layers and other than saving a few clicks here and there I don't see how it would help me. I find Xara's straightforward approach to layers very practical and productive.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>