Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Halftone cartoons of people

What I did first was real simple: I used the Threshold effect on a photo, tuning it to show just enough black to make out the guy and the tree. What I did next was not so simple: I used Photoshop to generate Halftones of popular, but not a lot of halftoned colors. I brought the separations (halftones causally have four C,M, Y, and K plates) auto-traced them, and then carefully nudged a row here and there so after adding colors to each "plate" the resulting halftone was seamless.

Then I clipped my halftone vector samples to the appropriate areas in the drawing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Halftone-guy.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	106020

As you can see here, the halftone color samples aren't perfect. When I get a little time, I'll nail them as seamless tiles and offer them in the ClipArt forum.

Name:	my-halftones.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	106021

-g

Default Re: Halftone cartoons of people

I don't know how in the world you come up with this wonderful art!!! You're sooo creative! Blows me away.....
    Anyway, great work on the halftone!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Jaundice and spots - he's in trouble!

Nice job.

Thanks, Paul, I guess.

:)

Gary

Gare, I truly admire your patience, truly a labour of love. The result is very convincing. I can only echo Ron's comments.

Edit: Follow this link to see what I managed using a plugin.

Bob.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 10 February 2015 at 08:56 AM.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

@Bob—

Thank you, and as promised, I should have all six halftones done as both vectors and high res JPEGS sometime today and will post them in the ClipArt section with a link here. As you might note, the tiles are not perfect in my screen cap and I need to massage them a little.

A figurative massage, not like those massages offered in the seedier parts of town.

-g

I see that albacore has taken up the torch over in the clipart section with a few free vector halftones. It's fascinating stuff, reminiscent of the work of American Modern artist Roy Lichtenstein, and albacore did inspired work there.

His halftone patterns differ from mine because the colors—which aren't obvious unless you squint or hold the monitor away from your face—are made up of faked CMYK overlays; I use magenta, for example, mixed with yellow in Stained Glass mode to get red—it's pseudo subtractive color. It became problematic that to fairly accurate reproduce the rosettes that are a product of percentages of color overlain, that the screen degree angles forbade a perfect repeating pattern. So it takes some amount of work to do even a small palette, and all I have to offer right now is a flesh tone seamless tile in vector and bitmap and one in brown, attached. When I get a larger palette together, I'll either post it on the Clipart area, or make it a Monthly Giveaway on Xara Xone. Trust me, the effect is tedious!

Name:  flesh-and-brown-thumbnail.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  24.8 KB

Take these apart in Xara to see how the screens are organized and arranged. I did use vector tracing once I'd figured out the percentage of coverage and an approximation of correct screen angles.

Here's a less exaggerated application of these vector halftones than I posted earlier. Art imitates printing; the comic book hero is almost overpowered by the halftoned background.

Name:	Captain-Apex.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	106097

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files