Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeat export?

Default Repeat export?

If I "export to jpg" and then click export it works fine, but is there a way to repeat export saving over the same file again?

I find I have to click export again and look through a list of files to save over it again, is there a better way to do this that I'm not using?

It's like having to use "save as" everytime when I really want a save.

Default Re: Repeat export?

I am unclear (my normal state) I think you are asking if there is a way to automatically export the same image with the same name to the same location more than one time?

If so, not that I am aware of. Xara will remember the file type, the resolution, and the location, but you will have to enter the name, or select the image when you export in the current folder.

That said, I think this will work with Photo & Graphic Designer, in the File Name text entry box, enter the first letter or two of the file name and a drop down list should appear with any files that begin with those letters. You can then select the file name you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumarian View Post
    If I "export to jpg" and then click export it works fine, but is there a way to repeat export saving over the same file again?

I find I have to click export again and look through a list of files to save over it again, is there a better way to do this that I'm not using?
    As far as I know, that is the way to do it. You will be asked if you want to replace the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumarian View Post
    "save as" everytime when I really want a save.
    As long as the file is open and you work on it a * will be after the file name if you made changes, so you can just save and the file will be updated that is unless you want to save it as a different name or location, in which case you need to save as but then the new and old file should be in Xara's memory but only the new one active, so now when you save it will update the new file and not the older one.
    EDIT: This only applies to xar files not exports.
    Last edited by wizard509; 05 February 2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: unclear what I mean
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It would be nice, and it's been asked for before, that Xara would pre-populate the export dialog with the name of the file no matter what the export type.

Maybe someday. Maybe.

Mike

Usually I am working on an object that I then export as a jpg based on the object selection which is included as an image in a website, after I see what the image looks like in the website I think actually I might change this, that etc., but to export it again over the top I have too find the file name in a long list of filenames that I have, all with model codes that are easy to forget, so I go by preview images instead but I really just want to repeat export over the same one I just did.

Actually a good way is to sort the icons (previews) in the export dialog by modified, this was the first thing I thought of but I could never get it to work for some strange reason (it would never put the most recently saved image at the top or the bottom, it might have been an issue with my computer) but now it is working, so this is good enough, I don't have to search through images anymore if it continues to work. So all I have to do is double click on the first icon.

Get a clipboard app. Then when you first export the file, copy & paste the name to the clipboard. Then when you've amended the file, export again (it remembers the folder) and paste the filename in the name box. You can drill down easily if you've done a few copies after you copied the name.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Actually a good way is to sort the icons (previews) in the export dialog by modified
    Good solution too.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Actually it's still causing a problem, the sorting.

It seems to only sort by when the file was created, not by when it was modified. This is probably a Windows problem rather than a Xara one, but does anyone know what the solution is? Is one of the 'more' options in the sort menu better (I'm using sort by date at the moment)?

So if I create a new file it will go to the top of the dialog box but if I save over an existing file it will stay in the middle somewhere.

OK I fixed it, you have to go to the extra sort by choices and choose "date last saved" instead of "date".

Now it puts the file that was saved last (ie. the one I'm working on) at the top of the dialog. This solution is good enough.