Default Watermarks

Hi all,

does anyone know of good ways to highlight watermarks? I have this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watermark.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	105925

that shows a watermark fairly clearly but can Xara be used to sharpen it any more?

(the scan was taken of the back of the stamp with a black backing, the stamp is a grey/green colour)

Bob

Default Re: Watermarks

Hi Bob,

Here's the best I can do. It may have the number 69 (Circled) but other than this I haven't a clue. I reversed it to see if this helped. Ocasionally I see a cartoon tiger but it's like reading inkblots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stamp-watermark.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	105926  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Question Re: Watermarks

Probably reading a lot into it but I would say George V 1912-13: http://www.stamp-collecting-world.co...mps_1911d.html.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Bout the best I can do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stamp.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	105927  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp Watermark.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	105928

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You may well have hit it there Acorn. I can see it in your attachment.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Acorn,
    I presume your image is a superimposition of the 'real' stamp onto the watermark image?

If you enhanced the image how did you do it? My efforts have been no better than the others shown already.

If you have the stamp then using a UV lamp may bring up something. Don't know about stamp watermarks but that works for a lot of dyes.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by EJ View Post
    I presume your image is a superimposition of the 'real' stamp onto the watermark image?
    Yes it is a superposition to show what I though was there - it all lines up.
    I don't know what the OP needs but back in the day I used Benzene to reveal translucent watermarks.
    Benzene is a hazardous substance - don't try this at home!

Acorn

Hi Acorn,
    thanks for the reply. I trawled Google and found that watermarks usually do not fluoresce under UV and that most people use a patent liquid enhancer to bring them up. Benzene and other solvents are used of course since they are cheaper but as you note they are hazardous.

It intrigues me that I could not find much on software enhancement of watermarks since other hard problems such as enhancing faded cave paintings, aboriginal art etc have been successfully brought out. Anyway thanks for bringing up the issue. I'm going to keep it in the back of my mind and I'll bring it back if anything surfaces.

Erik

EJ

It intrigues me that I could not find much on software enhancement of watermarks since other hard problems such as enhancing faded cave paintings, aboriginal art etc have been successfully brought out.
    That's because cave paintings are 40,000 years old whilst stamp watermarks are less than 100 years old so developers have had far longer to perfect the cave painting software
    Egg