Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 1920s US Parlor Scene

I will eventually post a complete redraw. The reason being is that I've had so many kind and instructive critiques of the project, that it has inspired me to really do my best to tackle this problem I have with perspective. I just don't get it, in some applications of the principles involved. But taking some of what I think I understand, I'm going to reconstruct the whole drawing.

I look forward to finishing it as I've already started. I'm working on the perspective of the walls and trim first.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Ok. Not close to done yet, but here is the re-work so far. Everything is set to the same perspective with the exception of the big lounge chair and the woman and her piano chair. Still have some detail to add to the pianola, also. Not sure what to do about the perspective on the big lounge chair though. I want to angle it in so the man and his paper can be seen in part, but not in perspective to the rest of the furniture and the walls, as this would obscure the man and his paper. Any experts have the answer?

Later, I will do the exact same picture but with an upright pianola instead of the very small one.

Xara is really feeling the strain as the redraws are taking a while. I've really included too much detail for the software to handle. But you've got to admire the quality of the software!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parlorimage.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	105950  

Xara's Facebook

Xara is really feeling the strain as the redraws are taking a while.
    Just a thought Ron: Why not create bitmap image copies of your vector drawing layers your not working in. So for example you could create a bitmap copy of the whole room except for the piano and lady. This surely would drastically reduce the redraw time but still retain the vectors on non-visible layers- or am I missing something again?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Looks good to me Ron. About the angled chair, that is great that it is angled. The VP will probably be in a different place than the one for the walls and trim, but still on the horizon line. Even though you may have at least 2, possibly 3 with the fireplace wall, it is still technically a one point perspective, which is great. Why is it still considered a one point perspective? Because all the horizontals are parallel and do not converge anywhere on the horizon. If they did the VP would be extremely far away and then it would no longer be a one point.

I can see this bogging down your machine, there are lots of points it has to deal with.

I could check the drawing closely if you like but otherwise I'm not going to.

Great work Ron.

If I can help answer any perspective questions, just ask.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Eric. I have been working with the other layers NOT visible, but it still takes a little time. So, I'm not sure converting to bitmap would make a difference, other than having the rest of the drawing visible at all times. That probably would be of some help, though. Thanks again.

Larry, I'll send the file with most of the drawing converted to wireframe bitmaps. Of course, the winged chair and table will still be vector as that's what you're helping me with. The file will be about one fifth the size when I send it, almost 10megs.

Xara's Facebook

That's a big file Ron. I hope I get it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks to Larry (wizard509) I was able to get everything into perspective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parlorimage.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	106091  

Xara's Facebook

I think you did extremely well Ron. I don't think I really don't feel like I did anything but thanks. You are an apt pupil.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Quote Originally Posted by jessicalillis View Post
    Attachment 106644
    Close enough.
    ?

Xara's Facebook

Jessica, as Ron and I am sure everyone else is wondering, what does your photo, except to promote your Photoshop services have to do with Ron's lovely illustration.

This is a warning. If you continue to post unrelated bits of self promotion you will be banished from this forum.