Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 1920s US Parlor Scene

Thanks theinonen, Penny, Peter, Boy, Frank, scehz, Larry, Gary and Rik.
    Well, let's see. Such wonderful comments.

Peter: You're exactly right! I had added a slight fold on the back, about where the scapula would be, but it isn't convincing. I have to work on it a little more.

Boy: Yikes!!! You caught me dispensing misinformation! I had intended to draw the rug in another file because the file size of this file is so huge. I wanted to then export it as a bitmap and insert it. I TOTALLY forgot to do that! My apologies to EVERYONE! But thanks to you Boy for mentioning it, as I want to do that before sending this to print.

theinonen: The table was one of the special requests from my wife. It is actually oval shaped and my intent was to angle it in harmony with the chair. Thanks for your observation!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

My face is still RED from taking credit for that rug when it wasn't mine. Anyway, here is an update with a little crease added to the lady's back and a rug drawn, this time, by me. Also, at my wife's request, I added 4 photos of grandchildren on the right wall, and a photo of my daughter with her daughter on the fire mantle. Photos, not drawings.
    I guess the rug detail doesn't show because of the envelope effect applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parlor.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	105814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parlor wireframe.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	105815  

Xara's Facebook

Here's the rug without the envelope. (looks better laying flat)
    Hmmmm. the brushes I created don't show in the wireframe.

Name:	rug.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	105816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rug wireframe.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	105817  

Xara's Facebook

The drawing looks awesome also with this rug, it absolutely fits to the room.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    One question, is the coffee table supposed to be round? If it is, then I would change the orientation of the top as it does not quite look right for the perspective. If you rotate the ellipse little to the right, then it will look more round and in level. ( Might just be my eyes making tricks and in that case you are free to ignore everything I typed.)
    Similiarly as theinonen mentions, I feel the same a bit that the table cover maybe slopes a little or how to say

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Boy: Yikes!!! You caught me dispensing misinformation! I had intended to draw the rug in another file because the file size of this file is so huge. I wanted to then export it as a bitmap and insert it. I TOTALLY forgot to do that! My apologies to EVERYONE! But thanks to you Boy for mentioning it, as I want to do that before sending this to print.
    Ron, I didn't catch you doing anything wrong!! I just commented on a beautiful image and was wondering how you did the texturing of the rug. I wondered whether it was a bitmap or vector. Thanks for explaining. I like the new rug and it fits perfectly in the scene.

One comment though. The frame and pictures of your grandchildren that you added look a bit too modern for the scene.

The reason I asked if the table was supposed to be round is because oval shaped table would be very hard to get looking just right.

I think the table top would cover some of the feet and those 2 feets farther away should be shortened a little to reflect that. Currently all the feets are about the same lenght and it creates an illusion the top is not in perfect level.

Without the help of some 3D software I say it is pretty much mission impossible to get just right and those couple tries I made were much worse than the original. After that I did quick test with an very early 3D software that happens to output as vector images and I sometimes use to help with perspective. (Do not expect any Gary Bouton level stuff...)

Name:	table3D.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	105831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	area1.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	105832  

theinonen you caused me to analyze the perspective in this and I must say that I appreciate the drawing very much, however I could not find a common horizon, line so it is impossible to determine about the table, it may be off a little but not much, but, I think you are correct in your assessment. This drawing just looks good. On the surface it looks to be more or less a one point perspective but it isn't really a true perspective. So now that I have put my foot in my mouth.

Ron here are a few pointers. Set your horizon and all the lines to converge to a single point especially walls that would be parallel, and, your trim on those walls, chair rails, etc. somewhere on that line. If you have differently angled objects or walls, they may have a different VP's but should still be on the horizon line, and, this will still be a one point perspective even though there are multiple vp's. There are exceptions to this but generally it's true.

I still think you did a marvelous job.

theinonenen if you disagree with anything I said please let me know. I do not wish to get into a slug fest but I still would like to know because I do not want to give out false information.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

theinonen: I think you're right, theinonen. I've made an adjustment. Thank you.

Boy: Sorry. What I meant to say was you brought my attention to something I had forgotten to do, and I didn't want to take credit for something I didn't draw. You said nothing to offend. I totally agree concerning the pics of the grand kids. Will have to do something about that.

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    theinonenen if you disagree with anything I said please let me know. I do not wish to get into a slug fest but I still would like to know because I do not want to give out false information.
    I am not really qualified to make any comments regarding perspective as personally suck in that area and need the help of reference image for that kind of things.

My comment was based just by looking the picture and how I personally see things. I think the desk and the chair at the opposite wall are spot on but there was something that just caught my eye when I was looking at the table. maybe if it would not have been aligned with the couch that also looks really nice, I would never even have had focused on that. I can not explain it really but compared to everything else in the room, it just looked a bit like it would be standing uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    need the help of reference image for that kind of things.
    I think we all do at times. Me, even though I know perspective unless something really stands out I mostly just enjoy the image and do not usually criticize. In this case that didn't bother me like it did you. I just enjoyed the image. I think your comment was correct and appreciated.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.