Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Feature Request: Copy and Paste Attributes of Extruded objects.

I would say that most of the time when you create multiple objects that are extrusions you want them to have similar qualities of light and shadow. It generally doesn't make sense to have objects that are lit by different light sources in the same scene.

So that being said, it would be nice to be able to copy and paste the light settings from one extruded object to another.

Alternatively giving us the ability to edit each object with a pop-up that gives us access to all the sliders simultaneously. Then we could visually see the position of all the sliders and then apply them manually to the other object.

But I must continue to say that being unable to edit all the sliders of an extruded object at the same time is a huge pain.

Even a pop-up like the color editor or align dialog would be welcome. It's often times too hard to manipulate an object because you often mistaken grab the extrusion rather than the rotation.

Anyone else feel this way?
    Sheff
    My Site

Default Re: Feature Request: Copy and Paste Attributes of Extruded objects.

All controls in a dialog? Yep, that would be nice as long as the dialog wasn't modal.

Being able to simply copy and paste the attributes, lights included, onto another object would be most welcome.

It's enough a hassle the way it now works I rarely do extrusions in XDP if there is more than a single object.

+1 And just to really ask for the impossible, the ability to blend two extruded objects.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

+1

Who says extrusions can't be blended? in the attached example I used a soft eraser tool to blend 3 extrusions to create a more complex object however there are limitations to this workaround. A soft eraser creates an opacity mask which while maintaining the extrusions as extrusions it can't rotate in 3d space with the extrusions which creates a mess. you can adjust the lights simultaneously if all extrusions are selected at once.

I think Sheff's suggestions would be helpful for this kind of thing though the OM would always be a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blended extrusions.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	105796  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Being able to simply copy and paste the attributes, lights included, onto another object would be most welcome.
    But you can do this already, Mike.
    Copying (Ctrl+C) the source extruded object attributes to the target object (Ctrl-Shift-A) pastes colors, extrude orientation, depth, gloss/matt and lights.
    The target must be an extruded object first however.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Who says extrusions can't be blended?
    I'm pretty sure this isn't the typical Xara blending Gary was talking about.
    Trying to blend extrudes gives you a warnting and (with my copy) crashes DPX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	105797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	105798  

That was my point, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ledger View Post
    But you can do this already, Mike.
    Copying (Ctrl+C) the source extruded object attributes to the target object (Ctrl-Shift-A) pastes colors, extrude orientation, depth, gloss/matt and lights.
    The target must be an extruded object first however.
    Hah...I probably knew that once upon a time.

Thanks, Steve.