Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Print Colour Vs Screen Colour

Hi!

I have designed an advert. The client loves the purple color (on the top and bottom sections) as it appears on the screen/computer monitor.

However, the print color is very different (when one simulates the print color)

How can I achieve a print color as the one displayed on the screen instead of the print colour.

I know I need to change the color of the purple, but what value should I use?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Print Colour Vs Screen Colour

When you export to PDF the filter/module changes the colour from RGB (screen colours) to CMYK (print colours). Do a search on the subject so that you will have a bit more background information, Now I would use Adobe Reader to view your files after you have exported it to PDF as "Simulate Print Colours" is only approx. of what happens on export as more colours are given a washed out look. You have a few ways around this but most involve having some form of physical printed colour charts in front of you with both CMYK and RGB values so that when using the colour editor to choose a certain colour/on screen you can be sure of its finished output. Now these can be Pantone colour books (expensive to buy if you're only doing a few a year) or a colour chart produced by you and printed digitally. Or you can use online colour conversions, you put in your RGB values and you get the closest CMYK values. This method is very like the "Simulate Print Colours" that you get when you check that selection in the Windows menu. So if you not going to be doing this a lot then I would buy a cheap colour CMYK laser for your desktop and use that to check and change your RGB screen colours. The printer in the UK would only cost around £100 and you could give your client a wet copy rather than seeing it on screen. The way that I do it myself is to use a limited palette of colours which I know what they look like when printed cos I can view from a sheet which has been printed as well and then view in Adobe Acrobat Pro (over £500) and see if I need to make changes. Adobe Acro Pro is one of the best value pieces of software that I have on my PC and it is used often.

Two things to say about your Xara file always put the Text on a new layer or at least right at the top of your of your stacking pile in Page and Layer Gallery. See what your banner font looks like when you print it out from your desktop printer, does it look clean and sharp, use a good quality paper to see. Maybe just maybe you will need a stronger font
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thank you for the explanation and extra tips Albacore.

You can get a CMYK Pantone color guide fan book and find an actual color that comes closest to the mauve in your document and specify that color in CMYK percentages. There are a wide variety of these guides. The one you want is the book that displays colors and their CMYK percentages.