Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default What's the best way to draw flow charts in Xara

Hi Guys,

I would like to draw flow charts in Xara rather than purchase separate software. One problem I've been having is how best to make use of a grid to evenly distribute spacing between elements and for the layout to fit on the page as a flow chart can soon become complicated with multiple connections and arrows. Xara's grid just looks confusing to me (attached) with its mesh appearance. Is there a better way to go about this for example using a plain square grid (attached) with a solid pale blue line would seem a bit easier to work with and I've played about with the guides to accomplish this but they are red dotted lines. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Brad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara Grid.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	105641

Name:	Grid.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	105642

Default Re: What's the best way to draw flow charts in Xara

You can create your own grid then cut and paste it onto a Guides Layer. It will act like a normal snap to grid.

The only trick is to drag one guideline onto the page first to create the Guides Layer.

You can also change the color of the grid lines if you want.

That make sense?

Thanks Gary. Not sure I understand completely.

"You can create your own grid then cut and paste it onto a Guides Layer. It will act like a normal snap to grid."
    As a test, I drew a blue line and copied it on the layers guide which worked but it drew it as a dashed red line. I would like to end up with solid pale blue grid lines, 1cm spacing that would act like a normal snap to grid.

"The only trick is to drag one guideline onto the page first to create the Guides Layer."
    If I created a blue grid with 1cm spacing. Do I need to transfer each line one by one?

You can also change the color of the grid lines if you want.
    Not sure how to go about this. I have tried right clicking on layer properties but the colour option is only red.

Thanks for your help,
    Brad

If you drag a guide onto the workspace from the ruler (if your rulers aren't visible, Press "Ctrl + Shift + R" to toggle off/on).
    Right mouse click on the red dotted line and in the dialogue box that opens, click on "Guide Layer Properties". Here you can change the default red to the colour of your choice.
    I have attached a screen grab of the help page on guides to clarify.
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guides help.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	105646   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guides help002.png 
Views:	167 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	105647  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I'd go about it a totaly different way. Basically what you're after is a graph type grid. Here's my solution. Watch in HD.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've always just used Snap to Objects to align shapes horizontally and vertically.

To distribute equally, I have used off-page objects to act as anchors. They were aligned with Arrange > Alignment > Distribute equi-spaced.
    It is possible to redistribute after you have created your charts but a little forward planning save oodles of stress.

Also the Smart Shapes Arrows (4 or 5) arrowheads actually stick to the edge of the shapes without too much fiddling.

Name:	Flow chart alignment.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	105651

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for your input and help everyone! Egg thanks for the great video and attached file, very thoughtful and it really helped. Graph paper is what I wanted and didn't even know it, now it reminds me of the dreaded geometry lessons from school days