Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I create text effects like a glow, burn, or an outline?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Is it possible to change the line spacing in Xara? I couldn't find an option for that.
    Bruce
    With the text tool, select your text and in the context toolbar (default position top of the workspace) click on the up/down triangles to alter line spacing.
    [Click on the attachment thumbnail to embiggen]
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line Spacing.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	105689  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Angelize, where did you get the texture for the paper background you used, did you make that? I actually do like that background and was thinking about using it or something similar in my project. But I wanted to make sure it was safe to use for commercial use.

Bruce

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Bruce, Yes I did create that texture in a program called Filter Forge, it's a 600 X 600 pixel seamless repeating texture.

I don't mind if you use this texture commercially, thank you for asking (many do not ask about using .xar files or the bitmaps they contain) When I posted the .xar file I considered the file and the texture as a giveaway. It would be nice though if you are using it on a web site or with in any kind of app if you would include a link back to this thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I just looked at Filter Forge and currently that is a little out of my price range even discounted...
    This will be for a commercial product but I will see if I can put a link in the description for the product on www.thegamecrafter.com.
    That is as long as I remember this discussion
    This is my first professional/commercial product of any kind so I am new to this sort of thing. I just hope it turns out ok.

Bruce

i know a little late but this maybe will help others searching for text effects...

another way to "distress" a font is by importing a couple images to your workspace that have the look you're trying to achieve. the one i used for the example was a piece of scuffed up steel. select your text (can be several text groups too) and then in the bitmap gallery (far right hand side) right click on any of the images that you want to try and choose "apply as fill". you might have to play with the fill tool (back on the left side tool bar) to get it tweaked to your needs. it also works real good to add text/images to an existing image while matching the existing text fill exactly. just make your new text and "apply as fill" the same image you're modifying (in the dark example my daughter wanted her dorm name and stars added to the top of the existing 2 chainz image she downloaded while matching the fill exactly)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	font fills.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	106529  

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    EDIT: If possible how do I change the color of the shadow effect?
    Bruce
    Bruce what I do is select the text and using the shadow tool set the shadow to glow then drag it out so I can get to it then crtl click on the shadow and change the color that way. If necessary you might want change the blur and transparencdy then drag it to the size you want. The glow shadow usually (at least for me) defaults to red.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

What I do is not select the text, since if the text is selected when you select from the color bar, the whole text, not the shadow changes color. So with nothing selected, I grab a color from the color bar and drag it onto the shadow of the text, careful not to actually touch the text itself. I often use the halo shadow, and apply white to the shadow so I can place dark text onto a dark background yet still easily define the text.

@Wizard - yes it does default to red, unless you select drop shadow first (which is black), then switch to halo or other shadow and the black is still kept (instead of red).

If you look at the map of the viking town at the bottom of page 36 of my Fantasy Maps created in Xara Xtreme thread here on this board, you'll notice that all the text uses halo shadows. The port name "Utvikle Port" the halo is black so the white text will stand out against the blue water behind it. Also most of the other text labels (which are black) have white halo shadows applied so that the linework doesn't make the label hard to read (a fuzzy white rim of the shadow around the text) emphasizes it against the background.