Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default back to the same problem ...uploads whole site after just a text change

Why does a new program still have the same problems with uploading ....... change just a email address and it has to upload whole site ....
    driving me mad ....
    Thought the last update had sorted it .

Mike
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

Default Re: back to the same problem ...uploads whole site after just a text change

I don't know why your having this issue Mike. I rarely use Xara's publish feature prefering an FTP route. If all you're doing is changing an email address then I would think that just uploading the html pages would suffice. Might be wrong however as I often am
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: back to the same problem ...uploads whole site after just a text change

Why cant we just upload one page at a time ...... seems so simple to do .... Its been a problem for a long time now .
    Life's too important to be serious
    Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz / 8 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    / Dual Monitor. / Windows 7 Home premium 64bit .

...uploads whole site after just a text change
    I've tested this several times, I don't get the whole site re uploading - only the changes.
    Can you list your complete workflow, Mike?

My understanding is when you publish, a file index.xhl is created. The next time you publish, Xara consults this index.xhl file to see what has changed and makes those changes. It does delete old files after it has written the new files and this can sometimes take a few moments.

Are you deleting this index.xhl file?

And how many seconds/minutes is long?

index.xhl
    ??? Never seen an .xhl file Gary.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hehe.. Only been there since at least version 7, Egg.
    It's auto uploaded and referred to for each subsequent upload as Gary says.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-25_153023.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	105758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-01-25_153230.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	105759  

Just shows you how observant I am then

EDIT: Just done a search on my system and there are no .xhl files. Perhaps it's created using the publish command, which I never use.
    Egg

As opposed to what, Egg? Publishing to a folder and using FTP to upload the site?

FileZilla checks rhe age of the files before uploading and skips if the same datetime and size, unless forced. Much better.
    I understand that Xara are trying to minimise the coding experience (design, compile, publish) but lack of visibility of what's under the hood leads to these questions.
    That's why I name my major images to avoid any upload angst with filename="image_name". I can then use FileZilla to upload a different image without going through the design-compile-publish cycle.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat