Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I changed a colour bitmap within X1 to be black and white (select bitmap, right click on black colour) - this worked fine and looked good on the screen. However, I then enhanced the contrast with XPE, all looked fine on the screen. Go to print on an Epson 1160 and the bitmap is not showing in Epson print preview. Needless to say I cancelled the print. Undid the contrast enhancement and tried print again - bitmap now in the Epson print preview but with original colours - not the black and white version I had on the screen.

I did try to log this with technical support via the web site but got a page not found error.

I was able to repeat this with another bitmap after closing and re-opening XaraX1.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

I changed a colour bitmap within X1 to be black and white (select bitmap, right click on black colour) - this worked fine and looked good on the screen. However, I then enhanced the contrast with XPE, all looked fine on the screen. Go to print on an Epson 1160 and the bitmap is not showing in Epson print preview. Needless to say I cancelled the print. Undid the contrast enhancement and tried print again - bitmap now in the Epson print preview but with original colours - not the black and white version I had on the screen.

I did try to log this with technical support via the web site but got a page not found error.

I was able to repeat this with another bitmap after closing and re-opening XaraX1.

Christine
    Christine

Before you print you will have to change your printer setting to print in Greyscale. Otherwise you will be giving your printer both the color, and the black and white instuction, and your printer will override your intended color change.
    I'm sure you know how to do this Christine, but in case someone reading this does not:
    Go to File > printer setup> Click on the "Properties" button.
    Your printer control panel will come up and there should be a box to check for greyscale printing.

Also, there should be a checkbox to "Preview before Printing" if you would like to check your image before you print.
    - Andrew

I wasn't printing just black and white there were other things on the page as well and it was the print preview which alerted me to the fact there was a problem.

Christine
    Christine

Christine, I just tried the same thing you described, only with an HPdeskjet 5550 and had no problem. The print preview looked just like the screen:grayscale. Although one thing DID catch me a little off-guard. Right clicking on black changed the image to black and white but XPE displayed it as the original color, although it did the contrast adjustments to the grayscale which was on the screen when applied. I understand XPE works on a copy of the original, bypassing the color change done with the right-clicking in Xara.

AndFarr, I don't think the printer should override an intended color change while using a color printing cycle. It should still print out just like on the screen, unless instructed to do otherwise. I've printed many times, elements of color and grayscale on the same page, with correct output.

Sometimes a reboot of the computer might clear things up??? When I've had oddities with printing in the past, this would often help...

Same thing happening after a reboot.

Doesn't happen on my home PC with an Epson 950 printer.

The bitmap converted to black and white also prints in colour even without changes via XPE.

I've updated the printer driver with no change.

Christine
    Christine