Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem importing EPS Files

Hi - There are some EPS files I can't import. If I import them, nothing happens. If I open them, a file with the file name is created, but there's nothing in it.

I've read here about using different import filters, but I can't find any info on those filters, how to set them, etc.

Would filters help? Or, is there another get around?

Thanks.
    Kathleen

Default Re: Problem importing EPS Files

Hi Kathleen,

The only (almost) surefire means to open EPS files is with Illustrator. Which is likely the application used to create them.

It would help to have a sample file that causes this in your Xara application. You would need to zip one up, I think. Then attatch it to a post.

Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike - Thanks for the response. It's weird because it seems to me that I've opened some EPS files, but I could be wrong. I notice that there are EPS to PDF converters online, so maybe that's the best thing to do. I'd attach a sample, but the file is too large for the forum limits.

Is there a way to assign filters to an import? There was another thread here in the forum where someone used a particular filter to import the eps and it worked. Just curious if anyone knows how to use import filters. There's nothing in the documentation that I can find about it.
    Kathleen

If the file is important, consider zipping it (they compress really well unless there is bitmap data in them) and if still too large, upload it to dropbox.com or another sharing service (that doesn't require registration) and either put the download link in the thread, or, feel free to PM me the link to keep the file private.

In the Import dialog, you can choose various filters, at least XDP can. I don't know what you are using. That may or may not work. I have had EPS files in the past I couldn't open, getting the same result as you. A quick spot check through thousands of files fails to find one that doesn't open.

Xara's import filters, particularly the EPS filters, have long needed updating. I think with the latest version (I use X9) they improved the PDF filter, but I don't know what other graphic filters, if any, got updated.

Mike

The file isn't holding me back now - I got it in a PDF format that works. I'm just wondering if I can avoid that issue in the future. I've got Xara Photo Graphic Designer 9, so I'm thinking that import filter function isn't included. I don't see any place to assign a filter in the Import pop up. Guess for now, I'll stick with PDFs or PDF conversion. Thanks again for your help.
    Kathleen

Kathleen - PDF is a much better file format for importing and sharing files between computers and platforms. It supports both vector and bitmap content.

There are so many versions of Illustrator and files change quite a bit between versions.