Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Append existing shape/curve

Thanks Hans.

I understand that method. But that only applies to extending an existing shape. I think there is some confusion as its tricky to explain. When I say I want to add shapes, that can be taken two ways. Firstly, it could mean I want to add/subtract parts of a shape as you suggest. But what im specifically after is adding more closed shapes to the layer. To put it simply, I might have a star shape and want to put a square next to it. I dont want them to overlap or be part of the same closed curve. I just want the two shapes in the same layer. Basically the equivalent to drawing a star, then drawing a square and then selecting them and combining them - except I dont want to have to go through the combine step. Its not too bad when dealing with normal layers/groups. But when working with clipped groups it becomes long winded as you cant combine a clipped shape with a new shape without un-clipping first.

Layers are not the same as in PS. Nor should they be. That is the fundamental issue here, I think.

Chromafunk, I suspect that you are worrying about something that is a concern in other programs but that is just not a concern at all in Designer's workflow. That's probably why you're having such difficulty explaining and forum members are having problems answering you. (As mwenz says a Layer in Designer is not the same thing as a Layer in Photoshop.)

If you want a square and star next to each other just draw a square and a star. There's no need to combine them, or group them or clip them in any way. If you later want to add a circle to that arrangement draw a circle. You can do anything you want to the shapes retrospectively. If you want to treat them as a single entity then select them all and drag them, rotate them, recolour them or whatever.

Phil