Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Variants vs Live Copy vs Copy

I am working on site for an artist. Some paintings (photos) are repeated within the site. Using Variants, these instances are also repeated to the Variant.

When I import the photo, I use the Web Image Properties menu to set up the pop-up, title, and caption. I cannot seem to get these properties to pass to the Variants version. Ideally, I could Live Copy one import to multiple places within and across Variants and retain all Properties info. There may be a way to do that but I don't see it and attempts to Live Copy one photo that is used in a variant is blocked by the program. Copy multiple times will work but that involves deleting the Variant version that was created.

My goal would be to import once, assign properties, and use multiple places without having to tidy up automatically created Variant versions. I don't need subsequent live updates to the Properties, but that would be cool.

The site will have a lot of photos so any shortcuts are appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Default Re: Variants vs Live Copy vs Copy

Dan - I'm going to move this to Dear Xara since it is more of a feature request/bug. And yes, these actions and captions should appear in the variants.

Default Re: Variants vs Live Copy vs Copy

Understood. After experimentation, the most efficient way to add a photo with properties is to create it outside of the website, in a separate website. Add the properties, then copy it into the intended locations on the Main and Variant versions. Essentially, it bypasses the auto-mimic feature of Variants. I am not uncomfortable with that, but I wish the Variant feature were "hot linked" for Properties. Thanks.