Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Private Messages (PM's)

On the subject of tablets & Xara, there is a solution called Inkling, by Wacom.
    Basically it allows one to draw on paper and import the result into a graphics program as a .jpg, .png, .svg or .pdf file. So, it does both raster and vector and also supports layers.
    I'm hoping Santa will bring me one in a couple of weeks, so I'll report back again then.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    When starting to be a member on a forum you should have read the rules.
    That way you would have known that pm's are only possible after a fair amount of engaging in the forum itself.
    This makes sense,because you need to know the persons on the forum first before addressing them on a personal level.
    At least I would.

Hans
    I did know that thanks Hans, because I did see the rules, I just couldn't recall how many posts were required, and whether something was broken perhaps. I'm so sorry I even asked now. It's not the big thing that this seems to have become. It was just a simple question, Gary answered, done deal - I'm happy

We'll see how you get on Bob!

With a pencil you can sketch and rub-out, so it will be interesting to see how that compares with the device.

Of course, if you don't behave Santa might not come at all!

Santa *should* be delivering a Pencil from FiftyThree for use with my iPad. Pity I can't draw. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    There's no rule book and I thought everyone might benefit from the discussion as simple as that. From what you've posted so far, it will do us all a favour if they are PMs.

You'll have to wait a bit longer.

No more pompous, patronising advice is required, even with a smiley face.

Thanks Paul, I do actually appreciate the time you have taken in this topic. Thank you

Bob's letter to Santa has I think resulted in a little gem - a link to Wacoms explainer for the product.

Far too often on TG we see the same old websites - they follow the same formula (sure, it works), the wacom shows you can communicate and be different.

Good job Wacom.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 10.39.56.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	105064

Quote Originally Posted by puw View Post
    Thanks Paul, I do actually appreciate the time you have taken in this topic. Thank you
    Thank you.

Already an interesting conversation has started.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    On the subject of tablets & Xara, there is a solution called Inkling, by Wacom.
    Basically it allows one to draw on paper and import the result into a graphics program as a .jpg, .png, .svg or .pdf file. So, it does both raster and vector and also supports layers.
    I'm hoping Santa will bring me one in a couple of weeks, so I'll report back again then.
    Bob.
    Thanks for the info Bob.

I'm going to open a new topic post, about Gaphics/Pen Tablets, then the info can be focused in one place

The mention of it above was purely as an example of what I might quickly ask in a PM of a member, so as not to hijack 'their' topic because I can't PM that member lol.

Quote Originally Posted by puw View Post
    A typical stupid question about the tablets would be, why do people sketch out on paper, scan it, then sketch over it on a tablet? The initial sketches I see are always very rough and then the tablet sketches are always better. Why not do a rough on the tablet and then make a new layer?

freehand drawing is usually done by starting out rough and then refining the drawing in stages getting the work tighter as you progress; drawing on a tablet as opposed to drawing on paper is rather like fretting on an electric rather than an acoustic guitar, no matter how sophisticated the tablet, it does not feel like paper nor are the results exactly the same; each artist decides for their self which medium they prefer for which stage: I know artists that rough on computer, print out, and ink by hand using a light box

xara does not support the tilt and pitch features of the upper end wacoms, it just supports basic pressure sensitivity; I do not currently sketch in xara because I think there are far better programs for this - but I do colour work and for this I find xara's 'soft group' feature invaluable as it enables me to link objects together preserving their layer structure and still move them around independently of everything else
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

xara does not support the tilt and pitch features of the upper end wacoms, it just supports basic pressure sensitivity; I do not currently sketch in xara because I think there are far better programs for this - but I do colour work and for this I find xara's 'soft group' feature invaluable as it enables me to link objects together preserving their layer structure and still move them around independently of everything else
    Thank you handrawn. This info is invaluable to me in helping me go forward in making a decision.

If it is ok with you and iamtheblues, I will include both of your snippets in my new post.

Just to keep you up to date with the delivery of the Inkling, Santa has been having trouble getting Amazon to deliver it to Spain. Attempts have been made at amazon.com, amazon.co.uk and amazon.fr. I have known of other undeliverable items before and have got round the problem by ordering from amazon.co.uk to my in-law's address in the UK,
    and then my wife collecting it on her next visit to see her parents. But as it was so close to Christmas I didn't want to risk non-delivery during the period of the Christmas postal panic.
    Yesterday I received an email from amazon.com informing me that they can now deliver to Spain, and so I ordered one. Delivery is expected around the 12th. January '15.
    I'm a bit puzzled by the non-deliverable aspect of some items, but I assume it must be related to which supplier Amazon uses for postage.
    I'll keep you posted. ...
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.