Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy IS someone using Xara with Wine?

Hi, I'm sorry to post here about this, but seeing as how I cannot technically get support from Xara seeing as how I'm not technically operating it in it's target environment, I'm kinda out of options for dedicated support so I look to my fellow internetians.

So basically I have purchased Xara after finding it by accident through Xara XtremeLX and being thuroughly impressed after trudging along with inkscape at home and Illustrator at school. However, I run linux. After I successfully tested out Xara Xtreme5 as the newest version that would run in Linux Mint on my machine, I asked tech support if I bought the newest version would that grant me access to older version. They said yes. Apparently they misunderstood my question and told me this AFTER I bought it and asked them why my password for version 5 wouldn't work. They offered to refund me, but after looking at the Wine site, it seems X9 worked fine, according to the reports with the same problems as version 5 (resize markers and some editing markers do not draw correctly on screen, so you have to kinda hover over the area where they should be and wiat for the mouse icon to change) which isn't that big of a deal. Even dealing with hunting for resize handles, it's still much more friendly than what I was using. And thus leads me to my question...

I don't want to stop using Xara (my xtreme pro 5 trial period ends in 2 weeks) and I don't want to be stuck with the buggy, half ported LX version (it doesn't even load half of my fonts and the UI is incomplete, so you can't redock anything) so I'm begging for help from someone who's got version x10 up and running in wine. I've looked for any success stories or problems that were solved but have seen none. I will say what I have done though:

1.) Originally xtreme 5 had a problem when dealing with photo editing, but wouldn't crash. I fixed this by using wine cmd and using regsvr32 and putting the xpe4.dll in the /windows directory. This fixed the problem.
    2.) The problem I get in X10 is XPE4.dll communcation problem. Basically, it's pissed about the dll. I registered IT'S version, but I do not know how to unregister (or uninstall for that matter) Xtreme Pro 5's XPE4.dll.

I think if I can get the old version uninstalled and the old DLL(s) unregistered and start with a fresh install again and properly register it's XPE4.dll, I can get it running...

Please...HALP!

Default Re: IS someone using Xara with Wine?

I've tried XDP9 with Wine. It starts and you can even edit artwork but there's no way to save it to an other format but .xar. It looks like the exporting DLL's aren't loaded properly. Can't check right now for the update from Kubuntu 14.04 to 14.10 broke the Wacom driver and reverting back broke the Linux installation all together...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've tried XDP9 with Wine. It starts and you can even edit artwork but there's no way to save it to an other format but .xar. It looks like the exporting DLL's aren't loaded properly. Can't check right now for the update from Kubuntu 14.04 to 14.10 broke the Wacom driver and reverting back broke the Linux installation all together...
    Funnily enough, I think I can fix your problem...

if you copy the dll's needed to export to /windows and then in the console type:

Code:
    wine cmd
    regsvr32 c:/windows/****.dll
    exit
    This was how I had to fix the dll link problem in Xtreme 5 and I attempted to get it working on x10, but I think I got the dll's mixed up so I want to completely uninstall all XPE4.DLL (there's one for xtreme5 and one for x10 right now on my system) but don't know how to...because I think if I sort this dll issue out, I can be up and running with x10, but there's no 'uninstall' option for xtreme 5 and I am unfamiliar with 'unregistering' dlls in windows.

This is all I need, I feel really close...and then I can finally officially put in my registration key and be done with all this and just do my school work without a headache. I'll be damned if I'm going to switch back to inkscape or illustrator!

can you uninstall the wine environment completely and then reinstall it and start again with xara 10 only?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    can you uninstall the wine environment completely and then reinstall it and start again with xara 10 only?
    So while messing around with wine, trying to clean it out, I accidentally broke something else, so I decided now was the time to upgrade my OS (I'm using Mint) so I completely updated everything and started with a fresh wine install and I still get the Microsoft Visual C++ fault. I looked at WineHQ and apparently the newest VIsual C++ Runtime files are problematic somehow. :\

My computer is pretty old, maybe it's just time I get a new(er) computer and snag one with windoze on it...I needz my xara!

If that can help, I installed virtualisation software called VirtualBox, installed a WinXP partition on it and Xara 9 on it. It runs at full speed on a core2duo machine and very very satisfied of this.

Never succeeded in running Xara9 in Wine (all sorts of bugs displayed)