Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't move thumb objects forward or backwards

Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1.1.9166

Hi all.

Can someone tell me what I've done to cause one or the other of these pairings to be grayed out, depending on the object selected:

"Bring to Front " and "Move Forwards"
    -OR-
    "Move Backwards" and "Put to Back"

In the Object Gallery there's a list that goes like:

Layer 1 (13)
    Layer 1 (12)
    Layer 1 (11)
    Layer 1 (9)
    Layer 1 (8)
    Layer 1 (2)
    Layer 1

Doesn't that mean that everything is already on Layer 1, which is what I want?

Sorry, I don't get to use Xara Xtreme Pro very often, and I forget things between uses. I've had to go back and edit some graphics created a long time ago, but find I can't change the stacking order of some objects, even those newly created.

TIA

Default Re: Can't move thumb objects forward or backwards

"Bring to Front " and "Move Forwards" greyed out if object is at the front

"Move Backwards" and "Put to Back" greyed out if object is at the back
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Quote Originally Posted by Soporose View Post
    Xara Xtreme Pro 5.1.1.9166

Hi all.

Can someone tell me what I've done to cause one or the other of these pairings to be grayed out, depending on the object selected:

"Bring to Front " and "Move Forwards"
    -OR-
    "Move Backwards" and "Put to Back"

In the Object Gallery there's a list that goes like:

Layer 1 (13)
    Layer 1 (12)
    Layer 1 (11)
    Layer 1 (9)
    Layer 1 (8)
    Layer 1 (2)
    Layer 1

Doesn't that mean that everything is already on Layer 1, which is what I want?

Sorry, I don't get to use Xara Xtreme Pro very often, and I forget things between uses. I've had to go back and edit some graphics created a long time ago, but find I can't change the stacking order of some objects, even those newly created.

TIA
    if you have a list in the object gallery like that then they are all separate layers - name have to be unique so the letters in brackets are there to ensure that

'bring to front' etc only work within the layer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Soporose. I think there's some confusion going on here. A layer in Xara is just that, a layer. I don't think you can have layers within layers (but I'm often proven wrong). So just because you name a layer "Layer1 (0), Layer1 (1),Layer1 (2), etc doesn't mean that these three layers lay on a layer named Layer1. They are all independant layers regardless of their name.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

they may not have been named by Soporose

if for example you import a series of one layer PSD files in which the layer name is 'Layer 1' in each, this is what you may end up with automatically [depending on your xara options settings] where each PSD file has come in as a separate layer named 'Layer 1' and the program appends the incremental numbers in brackets to preserve unique name - this is what I was talking about in post #3
    Nothing lasts forever...

Probably, but that wasn't stated And what is an Object Gallery?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK, got it sorted.

As Handrawn and Egg suggested, that list did indicate a bunch of separate layers. I never created them, so Xara must have done it for some reason or other as images were bought in or created on the page over time. The repetition of the "Layer 1" fooled me into thinking there was a bunch of images all on Layer 1.

I've moved everything to the one layer now so problem solved. Thank you all for the tips.

As to the "Object Gallery" Egg, it's what this version of Extreme Pro calls what I would otherwise call the layer gallery.

Good to hear you've got it sorted Soporose. Thanks fot the clarification re the Object Gallery . Can never recall seeing that before
    Egg

what is currently [he said carefully] the page and layer gallery has had several name changes since the xara xtreme [ver2] days when it was just the 'layer gallery' - I think 'object gallery' only lasted one version, it's difficult to remember as you say; Xara Ltd are just too fond of messing about with the names of things
    Nothing lasts forever...