Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do you set Caps and Small Caps text

How do you set caps and small caps text. Is there a style or feature that does this automatically, or is it necessary to set manually.
    Thanks
    Lew

Default Re: How do you set Caps and Small Caps text

Hi Lew, do you mean how to change from upper to lower case? If so just select the text required & Ctrl + W
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Lew,

Xara products are not OpenType aware. What this means is that any OpenType or TrueType with true small caps cannot be accessed. If you have an older font with a small cap varient, you can use them.

Else you can do what I have done the few times I didn't want to leave XDP just to do a headline or two's worth of small caps. Now with character styles in the last couple versions is speeds up the process a tad.

In the screen shot below, I highlighted a bit of text that is to be small caps, hit ctrl+w as mentioned, adjusted the point size to about 80% of the point size for the real cap characters, then created a character style as seen in the screen shot. After that I can highlight some text, hit ctrl+w, apply the character style. All really quick if you don't need a lot of text.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002317.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	104897

You can also purchase a font that is small caps such as this font http://www.fonts.com/font/linotype/g...ssico/roman-sc (plus there are a few included in the Google selection). I think you can filter for these in the Add sub-menu.

In the past, some software offered simulated small caps, as well as simulated bold face and italics even though these were not part of the font's character set.

But this practice has been discontinued by most companies.

Ah! I obviously misunderstood. Could someone give me a link to these caps styles or variants or whatever? I'm mystified now
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I don't know what you would like from a link.

The screen capture below has true small caps on the top line, the bottom line is made from reducing the size of capital letters. What you should note is the "weight" of the characters. True small caps (whether as a different font in the same family, or as accessible in a single OpenType font as I am using for the screen shot) will have the stroke weight the same as the capitals. Next to the work-around, it is an obvious difference.

This is only one small reason why XDP needs to become OpenType-aware.

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002318.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	104902

Support for glyphs would be nice too.

Egg - With fonts with true caps and small caps, the small caps have been designed to have the same weight as the large caps. Faked small caps just make the small caps a few point sizes smaller so proportionately the weights are not the same.

If you want to see a font that is caps and small caps, follow my link in my last post. The font is Garamond Classico.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caps and small caps.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	104903  

Info Re: How do you set Caps and Small Caps text

Here is a play piece (more for web sites) that uses CSS3's font-variant: small-caps to create a faux Small Caps solution.

CSS3 - Small Caps.web

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Finally read all of your responses! This info helps very much, now I have some ideas about how to approach the typesetting technique in the future. Thanks very much!! Lew