Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is converting .PSD files to .XAR possible?

Quote Originally Posted by matrix29bear View Post
    Xara's BITMAP TRACE routine is garbage on all levels of the concept of garbage.
    XARA's Trace Function introduces random bizarre noise on even a 2-color (B&W) simple bitmap that never existed in the bitmap. Completely worthless thing to even have it in XARA at all.....

....XARA's Trace Function is so hilariously awful it cannot even be used for "artsy vector trace". Just do a simple test. In XARA, make a simple black vector rectangle. CONVERT TO BITMAP (around 150 to 300 DPI). Then use XARA to trace that bitmap.
    Now for the giggles, zoom in on it. Click the vector edit tool and see all the weird hundreds of garbage vector objects all over it that has zero relation to a rectangle. Sheesh.
    Nope.

Tried this using a 300dpi bitmap copy and saw no noise whatsoever [to make sure, I tried it with differing colour depth copies]

I am no particular fan of xara tracer in comparison to others such as inkscape or vector magic, because for my line art I find I can often get more accurate smoothed lines with those other programs, but the xara tracer does work

I think you may have accidentally included some very small vector objects from a previous trace in your bitmap copy, or used totally inappropriate settings maybe, but my bet would be on the former; it is not in the habit of introducing random noise in my experience, rather the opposite, it sometimes picks up from a paper scan background information that you might prefer to be filtered out; but on a clean bitmap copy? no, never seen that
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

....XARA's Trace Function is so hilariously awful it cannot even be used for "artsy vector trace". Just do a simple test. In XARA, make a simple black vector rectangle. CONVERT TO BITMAP (around 150 to 300 DPI). Then use XARA to trace that bitmap.
    Now for the giggles, zoom in on it. Click the vector edit tool and see all the weird hundreds of garbage vector objects all over it that has zero relation to a rectangle. Sheesh.
    I think the matrix29bear is just trolling. Here's my results of a bitmap trace of a black rectangle above a white rectangle. Default settings. Couldn't get a better result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rectangle-trace.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	104919  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

reckon you are right egg

the comments about serif in post #4 are just silly, and the comments on inkscape's bitmap tracing don't really ring true for anyone who understands what it is and what it is doing; [inkscape's tracer was based on a stand alone open source program potrace]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...