Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How to get narrow outline on lettering?

The best way to add an outline around text without destroying the integrity of the text is to make a clone of the text and add an outline around the clone then send the clone behind the regular text. Xara splits the line width, one half inside the text and one half outside of the text. So with small text especially, this does not look very good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	104878  

Quote Originally Posted by MktgGeek View Post
    Hi Larry. I'm embarrassed to say, but I didn't know how to put an outline around text, but I found it in the Help info. That's very cool and I think it does certainly add to the effect of the glow and will look good by itself too! Thanks so much. Wish I had more time to learn everything that Xara can do, but it's great to have so many people here willing to share their expertise.
    For some of us learning the program came from a long time use and experimenting, and of course being here. Gare B and Gary P may be exceptions, both are supremely talented.
    I suggest you take part in the challenges, I have found doing those very beneficial. They kind of force you to perhaps experiment and maybe get out of your comfort zone, and you will learn a lot by doing it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello, I've been going through old TG posts and found this one which is very timely for me. The point about cloning the text, outlining the clone (then applying the shadow to it) worked very well, but I didn't like the type style I had chosen. So by selecting both the text and the clone, switching to the text tool, then scrolling through the type choices in the dropdown, I could find the "right" one. Thanks GP!

-Maggie

My pleasure, Maggie.