Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to get narrow outline on lettering?

Hi All - I've attached an example of some buttons I'd like to be able to do on Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. You'll see there's a very narrow black outline around the letters. I've tried shadows, but can't get it to look like that. Does anyone know how this could be done on Xara? Thanks for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sample Lettering.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	104816  
    Kathleen

Default Re: How to get narrow outline on lettering?

Hey Kathleen,

Are you trying to create the effect on the picture you uploaded, or are you trying to get an outline around the letters?

all three of these can done easily, not sure what effect you are after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	104817

Hi Goto. Thanks for the reply. I have the button itself - the border and background fade, etc. I want to be able to recreate the lettering to make a new button. So, for example, I want to type About Us and then do whatever it is that makes the lettering pop - looks to me like its a slightly smudged outline around the letters?

Does that make sense?
    Kathleen

It looks like a glow shadow. Shadow tool, third shadow type. Then experiment with the settings until you get what you want.

Drag a black swatch from the color line onto the shadow to change the shadow color.
    Drag the black dot in the upper left corner of the text to shrink and position the shadow.
    Adjust the Blur and Transparency values as desired.

You beat me to it lol. I would do exactly what amoore recommended! A very quick and rough idea of it is shown in my example above, the furthers on the left of the 3 button samples.

Thanks Amoore and GoTo!! That was exactly what I needed. What I didn't know about was that pesky little black dot in the upper left corner! It's the simple things that get ya! Have a great weekend.
    Kathleen

You're very welcome.

Kathleen you could try a thin outline around the font and a glow shadow both. Select the text and apply a very thin outline in the color you desire and make the glow shadow the same. If you have trouble changing the shadow color try dragging it out fairly large and ctrl click on it and then you can easily change it's color, then drag it back to the size you need. I don't know if that would make any difference but using the two might be worth a try. Here is an example using both and the shadow blur and transparency changed.

Name:  font.png
Views: 181
Size:  2.0 KB

font.xar
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry. I'm embarrassed to say, but I didn't know how to put an outline around text, but I found it in the Help info. That's very cool and I think it does certainly add to the effect of the glow and will look good by itself too! Thanks so much. Wish I had more time to learn everything that Xara can do, but it's great to have so many people here willing to share their expertise.
    Kathleen