Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default missing rastizing photos

Hi Folks,

Does anybody new how to rasterize photos in XDP X10?
    I was looking for it in the user manual and FX panel but could not
    find any way to rasterize photos for printing.

Cheers
    Pawel

Default Re: missing rastizing photos

Hi Pawel

The printer does the rasterizing. You give your printer bitmap images such as TIFF. Unless the printer asks for different settings, I provide CMYK TIFF images at 300dpi.

Hi gwpriester,

Thanks for your explanation to my question.
    I appreciate it but I have some doubts.
    Actually I have been tested it and I could not find a raster pattern in my printouts.
    On the other side when I looked at Corel Draw and Photoshop there are rasterizing tools.
    And I asked my self, why there are those tools if the printer does the job?
    You now what I have figured out. The printers does not rasterize and that is why those
    programs has rasterizing tools.
    It seem that I must purchase some professional photo software because XARA is not.
    I would guess that would be Corel Draw then I will get two programs but both professional Vector graphic and Photo editing.

Pawel

Hi Pawel

All I can say is this. I have worked my entire professional life as an advertising art director and graphic designer. I have created literally hundreds of full color magazine advertisements and hundreds of full color brochures. In my new life I create 3D stereograms for publication.

I provide either a PDF/X3 document or a CMYK TIFF (I have to admit that I convert my RGB TIFF to CMYK in Photoshop). I have never been asked by a printer for a rasterized image. And to be honest, if a printer asked me to rasterize my images, I would find a more professional printer!

What you are referring to is a halftone color separation. Where the image is converted from "continuous tone" to tiny dots. Four plates, C, M, Y, & K are created.

I have used programs that can do this, and the results are just OK at best. If the screen angles are not perfect, you can get a moire, and a digital halftone dot is not as fine or precise as a film generated halftone dot.

And, this is not my job. This is the printer's job and the printer has had a heck of a lot more experience and knows the expectations and limitations of his equipment. He is the only person I will trust to "color separate" my images.

For more information see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

Hi Pawel, when you say rasterise, is this the type of effect your after?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rasterised.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	104774  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 November 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think Pawel is talking about converting a continuous tone photo (a bitmap) into halftone dots. If not then I am completely off base.

When a printer prepares color separations for commercial CMYK printing, he scans the images and converts/separates the photo in to four sets of halftone dots. These screens are used to make the printing plates.

Name:	eye.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	104777  

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Actually I have been tested it and I could not find a raster pattern in my printouts.
    On the other side when I looked at Corel Draw and Photoshop there are rasterizing tools.
    And I asked my self, why there are those tools if the printer does the job?
    You now what I have figured out. The printers does not rasterize and that is why those
    programs has rasterizing tools...
    These capabilities/effects in CorelDraw, PhotoPaint, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc., are not there for anything other than an illustration effect. They are otherwise not useful in the printing industry where each page is rasterized at the RIP in whatever print device is being used (including consumer printers).

Now, I am certainly not the person to dissuade you from adding other tools (applications) to your toolset. I have several companies' illustration, photo editing and layout software. And I use them all for various reasons, often tied to which does what best and also often in conjunction with each other (with the exception of the layout software).

Mike

It would be of great help if Pawel clarified exactly what he means when he say's Rasterisation? Gary seems to think it's the need to break it down to half tone colour plates whilst Mike agrees that this is the Printers job and that other softwares inclusion of these features is just to create graphic effects within the program and nothing to do with the file once sent to the Printer.....

Why's it always Eyes these days Gary, what happened to all those worms?

Name:	eye-raserisation.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	104783  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 19 November 2014 at 06:30 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So its just an effect?
    Then the effect is in DesignerPro>FX>Painting>Presets>newspaper(B&W)and( Colored)

Hans

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rasterized.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	104788

Many thanks to all who took your time to talk about my thread.
    Actually what I mean is the pattern that converts the "camera photo" into the dots.
    The dots in turn can be of different shapes:
    - Triangle
    - Circle
    - Propeller
    - Star
    etc.

depending on how the editor wish the rasterized photography to look like.
    in other way when print out should look like a newspapers or magazines
    image through the magnifier or something like Egg Bramhills and gwpriesters eye images.

When I print my camera photographs on my new OKI C711WT it does no look like that not to mention
    that I can not choose the rasterization pattern.

Pawel