Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gang,
    Attached is a gif which is the outline of the island of Guam. I got from my Corel Gallery CD and the native format is .cmx. When I copy and paste it into Xara, it comes in as a line. What I want to do is convert this "line" into a shape that will allow me to fill the empty middle. But when I use the "Convert line to shape" option, it converts the line itself into a shape and not the whole image into a shape.
    Any ideas for a workaround?
    I'm attaching the .xar file on another post.

.joroho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guam.gif 
Views:	1217 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	13517  
    Wise men still seek Him.

Gang,
    Attached is a gif which is the outline of the island of Guam. I got from my Corel Gallery CD and the native format is .cmx. When I copy and paste it into Xara, it comes in as a line. What I want to do is convert this "line" into a shape that will allow me to fill the empty middle. But when I use the "Convert line to shape" option, it converts the line itself into a shape and not the whole image into a shape.
    Any ideas for a workaround?
    I'm attaching the .xar file on another post.

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

Here's the .xar file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wise men still seek Him.

Under the Arrange menu in Xara X is an option convert line to shape.

I've done it for you and it is attached.http://www.sheff.com/images/howto.jpg

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Sheff
    My Site

{if the map is a single continuous line, what you can do is close it using the node editing tool. Select the two nodes at the open part of the path and then choose the close path option.

Another possibility is select both the path and a filled shape (filled with the colour you want to use), combine both shapes, then break them apart again. The map will retain the fill.}
    -------------------------
    Joan M. Mas
    TypePhases: Dingbats and Fonts for yer computor!
    http://inicia.es/de/jmas
    -------------------------

There's actually nothing wrong with this shape - it's already closed. For some reason, however, it's behaving like an open path and no amount of node tinkering makes any difference. The solution is to draw a separate filled shape, select both and Arrange > Join Shapes. To clean up: Arrange > Break Shapes then delete the separate shape. This technique is also effective with open paths.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I think the problem with this shape is that XaraX can't have (normally) an open path filled shape, which other vector programs do have.
    Import the shape and select it with the "Selector" tool. The info bar at the bottom left states "1 Line" not "1 Shape" indicating an open path. See the attachment to find the end of the line.
    The "Shape Editor" tool has a flaw. If 2 nodes are on top of each other they become invisible.
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!!!!!hidden_nodes.gif 
Views:	443 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	2786  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I love the TIP of adding a giant arrowead to find the end of the path.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

Thanks, Eric, and all of you for helping me on this one. I was beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why this apparently closed shape was being treated as an open line!

Si Ju'us ma'ase! (Chamorro for 'Thank you')

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

This problem with the "bad" nodes (points) is what I was getting at in one of my previous threads on using clipart from none Xara disks ... the artwork is natorious for this type of thing. Also, vector imports originating from DXF files have similar issues and can be VERY FRUSTRATING.

Here is another possible solution:

1. Choose the Shape Editor tool.

2. Select a visible point (node) on the path.

3. With the Zoom Tool active, ZOOM WAY IN (like 7000%) on the visible node

4. Press the END or HOME key and the node at the end of or beginning of a subpath should become selected and the screen will PAN to the node area AUTOMATICALLY.