Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara license inconsistencies / reactivation costs

(I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move it elsewhere if this is the wrong place.)

The Xara license allows you to install and run it on ONE machine, and subsequently move it to another machine, as long as there is only one active user / license / installation.

That's fine by me, though I don't like to buy another copy to run on my laptop (as I am the single user even on multiple machines) I do understand this restriction.

However, there are two issues:

1. Though the license says I can move things around ad infinitum, this is made impossible it seems, as specified by an installation note during installation. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems that I need a new registration code / serial after three installs, which is tied to the hardware, and isn't free. (And especially the cost part irks me, I don't mind the reactivation thing.)

2. When purchasing WD10 there was no mentioning in the purchasing process of such a restriction. This restriction / cost is not listed in the license.

My problem is: I tend to change my hardware quite frequently. How to effectively deal with this? Anyone ever run into this?

(Note: I think software vendors in general should be more clear about restrictions (such as hardware tie-ins and limited installs) during the purchase procedure. This doesn't only apply to Xara but to many other vendors as well. I've asked for a number of refunds over time as upon installation additional restrictions were imposed that were not known upon purchase. Having bought a large number of official software titles I feel I'm being a little mistreated being an honest customer. And face it: you won't stop piracy with addionoal COSTS.)

Default Re: Xara license inconsistencies / reactivation costs

Just contact Xara support and explain to them your situation. They are a reasonable lot and if your explanation makes sense they will allow you to activate the software on additional hardware setups.

Don't sweat it. I've run out of activations a couple of times and they always reset it for me. I assume they look to confirm that one or the other activations has been dormant for a while but it's never been a problem.
    Asus Zenbook Duo, 12th Gen Core i7, 16Gb RAM, Windows 11 (fully updated). bandcamp.novakill.com