Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How To Distribute Objects Inside A Circle or Irregular Shapes

I'm trying to place objects inside a heart shape.

Something like this:

http://vectorboom.com/load/tips/tech...tor/16-1-0-470

Does anyone know how to do it in Xara?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

Default Re: How To Distribute Objects Inside A Circle or Irregular Shapes

Jongware's script is pretty cool, isn't it? I have used it many, many times...in Illustrator.

Unfortunately, Xara products do not have scripting support. So you are left with manually placing and sizing those objects. If you upload a XAR file with the object to use for the "fill" and what it goes into, I would be happy to do so for you. It wouldn't likely be until later this afternoon as I am out and about without my laptop.

If the contents are not of public consumption, you can feel free to contact me via the private messaging here or send me an email for TG and we can arrange how to exchange the files. Otherwise, there are several people here that also use Illustrator and if you post a file someone else may get to it before me.

Note that the fill.objects can also use swatches in Illy so you are not left to only using black and coloring them.individually after the fact...would need to know what colors you wanted.

Mike

As Mike say's Xara doesn't support scripting. I've looked at an alternative way of doing this and I think I've come fairly close.

Firstly it requires Dmitry Malutin's excellent app Spray wich you can download for free from HERE Once installed go into the Non-Overlap tab and follow the video tutorial from there on in.

Unfortunately copy/paste from Spray direct to Xara Designer 10 didn't work directly so I had to do an intermeadiate paste/copy into Inkscape (also free) to get the vectors into Xara Designer. Don't know if this is a general problem or a 64bit issue.

So here's the result & the mumbling-bumbling tutorial. I'd love to see your work using Dmitry's Spray

Watch in HD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart-shaped-fill.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	104720  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Just looked at my attachment again. I only hope there's no subconscious meaning going on here. I'll deny everything
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's another based on the supplied link. I had to retain only those circles which fell totaly within the heart shape. Added drop shadows.

Name:	heart-filled.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	104726  
    Egg

Getting in touch with my feminine side now...

Name:	heart-filled-diamonds.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	104727  
    Egg

Thanks, Egg.

Takes a bit of fiddling around to get Dmitry's application to get the density/sizing down, and removing some of the circles that don't fit. But very usable for this.

Mike

Name:	heart_01.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	104728  

Cheers Mike. Did you get Spray to import directly into Xara or did you need to go via Inkscape?
    Egg

Egg, I was using a 32-bit version on my wife's computer and the copy paste, while technically working (everything bunched together), I did a good paste into Photoline, which is 64-bit. Came in as vector. I then exported to PDF and imported that into XDP.

Thanks, Mwenz and Egg!

Nice tips. I didn't know about that Dmitry Malutin's Spray.

I spend hours yesterday trying to get the same effect (objects inside a irregular shape).
    Then I tried Inkscape and playing with the "Tiled Clones" (shift, scale and trace) I finally got this result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heart shape with cloned tiles.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	104739

Xara is my favorite software and I hope we can find a way to get it 100% done in it.