Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting to separate layers?

Hi all

I've designed a bunch of graphics in Xara and submitted them in PDF format. They were approved but now the client is asking for them as editable Photoshop files. It's a tedious job to create new layers for each element...is there any way at all to automagically export the designs from Xara with each element on its own separate layer?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Exporting to separate layers?

Not that I know of. How many layers do you need to create? While scripting, if it were available, would solve this, I cannot imagine it would be onerous to make groups of each design/element, create as many layers as needed, cut a group, select an empty layer and paste in place.

And why in the world does the client want a PSD file? Just curious about the last question...

Mike

Eh, the commission I did for Brady Games creating the multiplayer maps for Activision Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare strategy guide required that I send them layered PSD files as final output (even though the maps were completely designed in XDP9) since they might need to make changes (mostly alterations in labeling) if necessary and they use Photoshop and InDesign (Mac versions) for page layout. That's quite standard in the professional print industry.

Yes that's what I guess I have to do Mwenz, just that it's pretty timeconsuming depending upon the number of objects. For example one design has a tree logo with very many little leaves...selecting and putting each on its own layer isn't fun.

The client wants to use the documents like templates and have their own designer be able to make changes in Photoshop. I suggested editing the PDF in Illustrator but they're not too conversant with that program.

That's about it GamerPrinter.

I would make all the leaves as one grouped or combined object placed on its own layer.

I was told ahead of time they needed layered PSD files, so I wouldn't need to go back and convert a Xara unlayered file to a layered one - the client should have told you that in the first place to avoid the problem altogether (its their fault).

Right GamerPrinter, they should have! Anyway - getting on with the job....:-)