Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I sometimes show my students what Xara is capapble of. They are often impressed by its speed. Illustrator sucks and they all know that, but I can't whole heartedly recommend Xara to anyone until they resolve file format import and export issues.

It's unfortunate, because I'm in a good position to recommend Xara to people who could easily become die hard Xara users, but I want to spare them the file format nightmares that I have dealt with.

But Xara in the hands of anyone who knows how to use it will blow away people who are accustomed to Illustrator.
    Sheff
    My Site

Of course I'm being harsh. I have no doubts about the worderful capabilities of Xara X. I use it since 1996 (I think it was called CoreXARA 1.1 at that time) and I also use it for classes. The problems I point out are related to old bugs (Look here for an antique), old omissions, and old attitudes. If you had to wait four years for a couple of minor tweaks (with many bugs still there) you would know what I mean.
    Rubem Pechansky

Hello Rubem,

I have been using xara since 1996 also. And yes it has a few things that could be improved, but it is 10000 times better then the other choices out there. If you are bugged by it so much you can always use pcpaint by microsux. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Well, if crashes when moving objects between layers and 8-year old bugs are considered minor, then I give up. Honest! I won't be the only one complaining while everyone else is happy. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Rubem Pechansky

Ummm... Rubem,

I have moved thousands of objects at one time from one layer to another and have never had a crash. I have rescaled objects across layers with no problems. that is a new bug on me.

Would you mind explaining how you can reliably duplicate this "bug"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Rayner:
    I have moved thousands of objects at one time from one layer to another and have never had a crash. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Never had a crash using Xara? You must be kidding...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Would you mind explaining how you can reliably duplicate this "bug"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sure, here it is -- without the quotes. You don't need thousands of objects, just about three are enough. Just open this file, create a new layer, drag the new layer to above Layer 1, select all, move to layer and there you go -- Xara crashes miserably. Just one of my favorite oldies...
    Rubem Pechansky

Hi Rubem,

I opened your file and followed your instructions. I couldn't make it crash on my system. The file as it opens has 2 layers. Am I to make a third layer and move the objects with the move to layer buttons? If so, I am able to move these objects back and forth through all three layers with no problem.

If no one else can duplicate this crash then the problem might be with your system.
    Sheff
    My Site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sheffield Abella:
    I opened your file and followed your instructions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Are you sure you changed the layer order prior to moving the objects? You must drag Layer 3 (the one you just created) in the Layer Gallery so it sits between Layer 1 and Layer 2, then move all objects to Layer 3.
    Rubem Pechansky

Sheff and John,

Rubem is showing one of the most horrible bugs (IMO) that Xara X has. It has been reported by many people on X and X1... I'm sure they are working on it at the Xara mansion, but right now I don't trust the move between middle layers, so I don't use use it all... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

It's very easy to replicate:
    (a) Open a new document
    (b) Draw two elipses on your "layer 1"
    (c) Create a layer 2, and draw a rectangle on it...
    (d) Create a layer 3, and then move this layer so it's between layer 1 and 2...
    (e) Select all (Ctrl+A) - and with layer 3 selected - hit "move..."

Xara X freezes, and the only way to get your PC back is to rip the powercord out of the wall with your feet... or to reach over and hit the reset button... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I will have to test this. I have never ran into that particular crash/bug. I have made it crash a multitude of different ways, but never by playing with layers. Most of the time, by pressing the outside of the envelope tho.

I shy away from brushes, because of that very reason... I push it too far and out to lunch it goes.

I have had every other piece of software crash and burn, much eaiser than any version of xara.