Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Does anybody know what's going on about the next release of X¹ (or X², maybe) and when it is due? There are still plenty of bugs to fix (some are quite old) and many requested features to add -- just browse this forum.

Some months ago many of us were led to believe that upgrading to X¹ would help change things this time, and we all did it. However it seems that things are just the same. I don't want to wait four more years for another small update with a new name. Do you guys have the same impression, or is it just me?
    Rubem Pechansky

Well, if crashes when moving objects between layers and 8-year old bugs are considered minor, then I give up. Honest! I won't be the only one complaining while everyone else is happy. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    Rubem Pechansky

hi Rubem,

A little harsh aren't we? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

No tailoring to the printers(macs) is what is stifling xara. Your "Abandonware" comment is totally untrue... IMHO http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Rubem, there's never a shortage of ideas. Working out which ones are realistic, which ones will enhance the product and which ones are doable is another thing!

But as the post at the top of the Xara X forum says, we're after a developer. Xara X is a product we're developing. It certainly won't be four more years. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I was able to duplicate the crash on my machine. I didn't have to pull the power cord to continue but it did take several minutes for Windows to close Xara X which was Not Responding.

dafipp

Hi Rubem,

I opened your file and followed your instructions. I couldn't make it crash on my system. The file as it opens has 2 layers. Am I to make a third layer and move the objects with the move to layer buttons? If so, I am able to move these objects back and forth through all three layers with no problem.

If no one else can duplicate this crash then the problem might be with your system.
    Sheff
    My Site

Risto et al,
    I didn't specify this in my earlier post but I am still using the old version - Xara X.

CPU: AMD Athlon 950
    MB: Gateway
    Video Card: 3dfx Voodoo5
    Memory: 640 Mb
    HD: WD 80Gig everything is on C: drive

dafipp

Does anybody know what's going on about the next release of X¹ (or X², maybe) and when it is due? There are still plenty of bugs to fix (some are quite old) and many requested features to add -- just browse this forum.

Some months ago many of us were led to believe that upgrading to X¹ would help change things this time, and we all did it. However it seems that things are just the same. I don't want to wait four more years for another small update with a new name. Do you guys have the same impression, or is it just me?
    Rubem Pechansky

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Geez guys, what the heck are you doing? Is there anything else than bug sniffing you'll do with Xara X? ;-}

No, I can't reproduce the bug. Whatever I select and move between any layers (clip view objects, vectors, bitmaps) won't crash of freeze Xara.

I mean I'm not looking for bugs, I'm using Xara as a tool for my projects, and it just works great. If you complain about a move-between-layers-bug: select your objects you want to move, cut, activate new layer, paste at same position, done.

I've set up my basic template with 10 layers plus the guides layer. The only weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes imported objects are stuffed into layer 10, though layer 01 is the active one. So I just move the objects to layer 01 and continue to work, not to move layers all day long, because I have to meet deadlines ;-}

Thumbs up!
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I sometimes show my students what Xara is capapble of. They are often impressed by its speed. Illustrator sucks and they all know that, but I can't whole heartedly recommend Xara to anyone until they resolve file format import and export issues.

It's unfortunate, because I'm in a good position to recommend Xara to people who could easily become die hard Xara users, but I want to spare them the file format nightmares that I have dealt with.

But Xara in the hands of anyone who knows how to use it will blow away people who are accustomed to Illustrator.
    Sheff
    My Site