Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Alright, after reading John Clements post I have been able to reproduce the error. The buttons I was using are move to layer in front and move to layer/frame behind. These buttons work fine.

I wasn't using the move button in the layers gallery. I've never used this button in the past and I didn't even know it was there. This is the button that causes the error.

But I agree, don't use the button until it's fixed.

So at this point, my hard drive is working over time while Xara tries to resolve this command.
    Sheff
    My Site

Hello

Looks like I can now reproduce the bug.
    I made another layer(30 and a elipse in the layer.
    Moved the layer between layers 1 and 2. Select the middle layer. Selected all the objects and used move to move the objects into the selected layer.

I have to say it is a very esoteric bug, but I don't use layers that much.
    Eventually Windows closes Xara, no need to reboot.

Mike Engles

sorry guys,

Can not duplicate bug... I followed Risto's instructions to the letter. Xara X1 running like a champ...

AMD E amchine POS...

YES. Using the MOVE button I can reproduce the bug. Never used this button before. As it closed down I got a virtual memory to low warning as well.
    It would appear that the problem is caused by moving objects in 2 directions at once. ie up & down.
    As I use a lot of Layers, but never use this button, I can see why I've never encountered it before.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Geez guys, what the heck are you doing? Is there anything else than bug sniffing you'll do with Xara X? ;-}

No, I can't reproduce the bug. Whatever I select and move between any layers (clip view objects, vectors, bitmaps) won't crash of freeze Xara.

I mean I'm not looking for bugs, I'm using Xara as a tool for my projects, and it just works great. If you complain about a move-between-layers-bug: select your objects you want to move, cut, activate new layer, paste at same position, done.

I've set up my basic template with 10 layers plus the guides layer. The only weird thing I've noticed is that sometimes imported objects are stuffed into layer 10, though layer 01 is the active one. So I just move the objects to layer 01 and continue to work, not to move layers all day long, because I have to meet deadlines ;-}

Thumbs up!
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

what is being determined here is that
    when a simple operation is run in the layers
    palette theres a crash being replicated
    on several systems, so obviously the problem
    exists, its not a ufo sighting by one person.
    Reputable companies (like Xara) ofcourse will
    attend to these for their customers freedom
    in designing and workflow in
    anyway the software allows/supposed to allow.
    reporting bugs is critical to software
    improvement and always worthy of attention.

Jens,

There is no bugg sniffing needed... The problem has been there since Xara X (which stinks... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif )

Jens: "Whatever I select and move between any layers..."
    --- That's not the bug... It's described in Rubem's and my previous posts (and clarified by Mr. Clements).

Xara Ltd. replicated it during the beta testing, so obviously it's there.

The error described is simplified... It can also happen in other sitations as well, when moving objects from layers, above and under your current one, simultaneously. Your safest bet is to deal with one layer at a time.

I'm sure Xara X is working on it. Also, John Clement's workaround accomplishes the same thing.

I tried submerging my PC overnight in a bathtub full of gasoline while Xara was running, and, sure enough, Xara crashed. Anybody know of any work-arounds for this one? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

.joroho.
    Wise men still seek Him.

Joroho,

The work-around is to duct tape a dryer hose to your PCs fan outlet, and place the case itself in a couple of garbage bags before suberging the whole thing. Xara will run well - until you start merging layers using the feature and button, designed for that very purpose... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

"Anybody know of any work-arounds for this one?" Joel

As the wise physician once said... "Don't do that".