Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Designer Pro X10-brushes

Hi,
    I am still running the registered trial download version. When I create a brush where are they stored. I am running the 64Bit version, created a brush , experimented with different setting saving as new till I got what I was after. I want to delete the previous brushes I created but I can't find where they are stored LOL
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X10-brushes

unless something has changed recently, brushes you create are only stored locally - ie in the document[s] that you use them in - any unused ones created will not be saved when the document/program is closed

easy to check - close the program completely then open a blank document and look at the brushes available, those will be the ones actually stored in the xara brush folder

[you can put them directly into the folder [in xar format] by copy/paste in windows explorer but as you don't know where that is I'm assuming you haven't ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

What i like to do is to have a folder on my hard drive for Xara brushes where store my brush documents (that is the .xar doc that contains the brushes) for example I have a document titled cloud brushes that contains several brushes for creating realistic clouds of different types and colours. I have my xara brushes folder added to my designs gallery and when I need to add some clouds to an illustration I can easily open the cloud brushes and then go back to the document I'm working on and my cloud brushes will be accessible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies from you all, I spent sometime searching through Xara directory and couldn't find a hint as to where they would be kept, but if they are document dependent that is a bummer...

Jim
    p.s Thanks again for responses.
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Hi Jim,

Here's the path to the brush folder. I remember when brushes were first introduced many moons ago now I did add brushes to a xar file but quickly found that it slowed down Xara's loading to a crawl. This may not be the case now.

Perhaps you could add some shapes to the Natural Media or Novelty file to see what happens. Remember to keep back-up copies of the files incase it makes a dogs dinner out of it just so you can restore the originals.

I must admit, I use a Brushes folder, similar to Frances' method.

Edit: Just tried adding a brush to the novelty folder and after rebooting xara the new brush is available.

By the way, does everyone have the novelty folder or is it just my machine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	path2brushes.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	104640  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,
    Thanks for the post...never thought of looking in templates...or missed the eng section...I new I had seen it previous versions...somwhere just couldn't find them this time. Funny my new brush name was there but not the previous ones ( the ones I wanted to delete) as they were showing up in my brush library when I looked..
    Any ways thanks for the response
    Jim

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have the novelty.xar file in my version as I expect everyone does. I also experimented with adding a brush to the folder you mention. I added a new .xar file titled stones which contains a brush by the same name and that works too. The .xar files in this folder also show up in the line gallery as a folder and when you open it it displays each brush and you can appy them from there. I think though that if you added too many brushes this way it could possibly have the effect of slowing down the program loading. ( I haven't tried to add any more as I don't have the time right now to fix it if I push it too far)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I must admit, I use a Brushes folder, similar to Frances' method.

Edit: Just tried adding a brush to the novelty folder and after rebooting xara the new brush is available.

By the way, does everyone have the novelty folder or is it just my machine?
    I do the same or similar thing too. Yes I have the novelty folder also.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks for the clarification Re the Novelty folder Frances / Larry.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host