Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Designer Pro 10 Premium - Newbie learning photo layer effects per training video

Okay, I'm trying to learn about using MouseOff and MouseOver layers, etc.

I am copying one of your training videos (love these by the way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV6aPQmdMy4#t=163

I did everything per the video ...especially naming the MouseOver layer for each original "good quality" photo (photo1, photo2, etc). Then I went to web properties on the black and white version of each photos which is in the MouseOff layer, and called up the layer name
    of the MouseOver layer.

It works great, but I know the training video is older than WD 10 Premium).

Since by default there is a MouseOver layer there for us already...how come you can't just drop the photos to show the effect in the MouseOver layer.? Or is that layer used for something else?

I notice on the templates that seems to be how its done...but I could not get it working. It does nothing when I MouseOver.

Just wondering....

Karen

Default Re: Web Designer Pro 10 Premium - Newbie learning photo layer effects per training vi

Karen, to get the effect using just the MouseOver layer and assuming the B&W photo is on the MouseOff layer with the colour one on the MouseOver layer and immediately on top then you select both and select Arrange > Apply Soft Group.

The colour photo can have added effects: shadow, tilted, bordered, etc. Just ensure it covers the photo underneath.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Web Designer Pro 10 Premium - Newbie learning photo layer effects per training vi

Thank you Acorn.....I will try that.

Because as of right now, I have a "named" layer for each color photo/button effect. Then the b&W photo/button references that layer on the mouseover tab in web properties.

Boy layers can make you crazy....is it in front? behind the layer? is it in the wrong layer?

Hi Karen, I think you're getting a bit confused. Latest releases of Xara web templates have both a Mouse Off and Mouse Over layers.

Place a B+W photo on layer Mouse Off. Place a Colour photo in exactly the same position on layer Mouse Over. Select them both and apply a Soft Group. This only insures if you move one photo the other moves with it.

Finally, with the softgroup selected go Web Properties / Link and set the 'Link to Web Address' to # (hash or pound or whatever you call it). This will apply a rollover effect. Of course you can give the link a more meaningful address later, the # is just a quick way of showing the roll over works. You must create a link though otherwise the rollover won't work
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OMG!!! are you kidding me? You know how long (days............hours.....) I've been messing with the whole mouseoff, / mouseover affect? Plus I went thru all the Xara WD 10 Premum help on layers and "soft groups".....

UGH!!!

I ended up creating a new layer, and calling to it from the mouseoff item / under web properties...then it worked.........

What was missing from doing it the "softgroup" way was Egg's last paragraph.....putting the stupid # symbol in the web properties / link / link to web address.

Now my mouse off / mouse over works using the soft group way without calling reference to a "named" layer for mouse off effect.

Karen
    PS: that # thing is NOT in your help files

THANK YOU EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! {hUgs}

My pleasure Karen
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host