Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newby with a challenge! Help solve problem & I'll forever admire your tech prowess

Greetings! I'm new to the XARA family of products having just downloaded a trial version of the Photo & Graphic Design 10.
    Truth be told, the little that I have done with the program this far was done so much more intuitively and quicker than
    with Element 9 which I've used for quite some time now. At the end of my trial period I will buy it for sure because of
    ease of using. Meanwhile, I have a "how to" to share with a problem I'm having and would greatly appreciate your
    assistance.

My OS is Windows 8 and the printer an Epson Stylus Pro 9890. I'm a photographer needing to print a single image as
    posters without wasting printing paper. The Epson is a wide format machine that will print up to 44 inches wide. The
    image is portrait oriented at 1635 X 2476 pix and 743KB. The paper is premium 44 inch continuous fed.

The challenge is to print a poster near 16 X 20 inchs in size with a one inch white border on the top and on both sides only.
    The bottom will have a two inch white border. I would think the image would have to be duplicated and turned 90 degrees
    to the left and stacked. I would like to be able to print 10 posters which translates to 5 posters X 2 posters being printed
    during a single job.

The fact of the paper being so expensive does not allow me to figure this out by trial and error as I would normally attack
    this task. I would greatly appreciate assistance in solving this challenge and will, as I promised above, will forever be in
    awe of your technical prowess. Thanks in advance!

Allen Kimble
    Vinny the Pug Enterprises
    New Oleans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crawfish.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	104535  

Default Re: Newby with a challenge! Help solve problem & I'll forever admire your tech prowes

I've moved this to to the 'Xara graphics chat' forum.
    Where I'm sure you'll receive a much better response.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Default Re: Newby with a challenge! Help solve problem & I'll forever admire your tech prowes

Allen,

The screen shot is using Xara Designer Pro. It has a page size of 16" x 20". Margins are 1" top, left/right, 2" at the bottom. Your image from your post is sized to 1635 X 2477 to maintain the aspect ratio. Once resized to the guidelines, it has an effective DPI of 146.

Is this what you are wanting to do? If not, please provide a sketch of the layout. Or a better description--I got sort of lost in figuring out what you actually want.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002243.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	104536

Welcome to TalkGraphics Allen

Allen needs to create a single document that will print TWO copies of the image side-by-side in FIVE rows.

Are you using a print driver software, or are you printing directly from Xara? Some print driver software will nest the files for you to get maximum paper use with less paper loss. Otherwise as Pauland says. Since you have 44" paper, and turned 90 degrees, you file is 22 inches wide, 2 images side-by-side prints 44. Print 5 rows of that all you'll have very little paper loss. I use a Canon IP 8100 on 44" paper to do pretty the same thing, and the above description is how I do that kind of printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    I've moved this to to the 'Xara graphics chat' forum.
    Where I'm sure you'll receive a much better response.
    Thank you Rik.

Allen & "Vinny the Pug" 4-Ever!

Thank your very much gwpriester.

Hi Mwenz! Yes, this is exactly what I am interested in. A poster + or - 16 X 20 inches, portrait orientation
    to be laid 90 degrees to the left side. With this action repeated I'd have two posters spanning the 44 inches.
    Upon printing I would have two posters each with 1 inch white border above, 1 inch white border on either side.
    There will also be a 2 inch white border on the bottom of both.

Your sketch above and explanation explains exactly what I'm interested in achieving.

Would it be preferable to set this up for print in Xara or as someone mentioned earlier,
    using the program that is provided by Epson?

I think you're very close to opening my eyes here Mwenz so please continue. Thanks.

Hi Mwenz!

Yes, this appears exactly what I am interested in. A poster + or - 16 X 20 inches, portrait orientation
    to be laid 90 degrees to the left side. With this action repeated I'd have two posters spanning the 44 inches.
    Upon printing I would have two posters each with 1 inch white border above, 1 inch white border on either side.
    There will also be a 2 inch white border on the bottom of both.

Your sketch above and explanation explains exactly what I'm interested in achieving. Would it be preferable to
    set this up for print in Xara or as someone mentioned earlier, using the program that is provided by Epson?

I think you're very close to opening my eyes here Mwenz, so please continue. Thanks.