Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default creating realistic lightning

I thought this might make an interesting topic for discussion. There are usually many ways to do things in Xara software and i'm sure this is no exception. I have used a utility called LSVG that creates vector fractals to create the basic line but it's getting from there to the brilliant glowing flash that takes a bit of effort. I often layer blue and white lines and use the glow shadow So how would others go about this task?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: creating realistic lightning

Sometimes to achieve lighting effects I consider both sides of the equation, light and shadow. When creating maps, once I create a given floorplan, I place a shape over the entire thing that represents shadow cover, using a light gray color then apply a stain-glass transparency that darkens the area as if under shadow. At places I want light to show through such as sunlight through an open window, direct sunlight or other light sources such as torches and electrical lighting. I cut-out shapes in the form of circles, arcs of light exposure, and directional light, essentially subtracting areas of the placed shadow layer indicating light is hitting this surface.

The first map image below shows an example of directional light exposing an area under shadow, noting the shadow is a layer of stain-glass transparency applied to a light gray color, with the light cast from the window cut-out in the direction of the light subtracting a portion of the tranparent shadow layer.

The second image emulates an area under the light of night conditions, as if under the light of the moon. Actually a couple layers of stain-glass transparency blue color was used. I say a couple layers, as even with the light exposed area is still under a layer of stain-glass transparency (lighter shade of blue) - the entire map is still covered with its non-subtracted, shadow layer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noble-chamber.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	104379

Name:	gravenight-thumb.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	104380

Oops, "lightning"
    ~Fred

Ah, I missed that. OK, then lightning, I've done that too in maps, or at least arcs of electricity.

I draw an appropriately wide line (4 - 8 pixels wide on a letter size area) in an appropriate color - white, blue, purple (whatever fits). Although like Angelize suggests I also apply a glow shadow in the same or slightly lighter color than the line itself. I often convert the line to shape, then apply both an edge feather and a slight transparency to the line shape. I often end the arc with an explosion of electricity wider than the line shape of the arc.

Name:	iron-golem.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	104382

Just look at photographs of lightning and learn from what you see.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/photos.htm

Just my opinion, but don't try to intellectualise ways of "generating" a "lightning-type" effect. Use your eyes. Just draw what you see.

Name:	lightning1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	104385 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightning1.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	104384

PS. the background and foreground as as important as anything else to getting it right
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Well I've taken one of LSVG's presets, used it as my shape (it was one of the most "lightning" like shapes I could find in the presets) and then applied the same drawing technique as above, but to my eye, although not terrible, the result is far from natural and smacks of "generated". Lightning is random by nature and using a fractal generator is by definition not:

Name:	lsvg.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	104400 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightning2.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	104399

It can be close, but it's not a cigar moment. This is one of the reasons why I shy away from plug-ins and their "this was created by a plugin" look.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Big Frank I think that is a tree branch maybe just a few tweaks and lightning but I see a tree branch.
    Richard

Yeah, that was my point. You need the randomness of a lightning streak in order for it to look like, well, a lightning streak. You could use something like this lightning generator as a starting point, but I'd have to see a better result from a fractal generator to be convinced.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

@angelize this should be right up your street : Blender Lightning Generator

the video a quarter of the way down is fun
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Frank I really like your hand drawn lightning. I'll have a look at the blender link when I get a chance. I'm also interested in what methods others use to achieve a realistic look as if the lightning has been captured mid flash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.