Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Manage Page/Site Structure and Links?

I have a couple of old sites in FrontPage at about 40 & 60 pages that could go to 200 or more. How do I manage the site and links with WD10P except page by page? I'm I missing something?

Thanks - Donald

Default Re: Manage Page/Site Structure and Links?

I have created a WD10P web site, exported it to a folder and added it as a folder to the Front Page site. Any links in the WD piece then need to be relative the FP structure instead of just links in WD. That work fine. I then slowly converted other pieces of the FP design over to WD.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Thanks Grace.
    Ok, let's drop any reference to FP. It went down with the Titanic when my XP boxes went to Goodwill and the S Army. I found a previous post that stated there is no visual site/page manager and probably no page/links table either. So links must be changed manually. Yes? (Although some links could be changed globally within a template/menu and or repeat on all pages.)

Question: Could pages/objects/images be grouped in different folders to help organize a large website? Or is this looking for trouble in how Web Designer functions and references fixed folders?

Thanks again - Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Donald33 View Post
    Question: Could pages/objects/images be grouped in different folders to help organize a large website? Or is this looking or trouble in how Web Designer functions and references fixed folders?
    Web Designer works really differently from FrontPage and trying to simulate an FP setup will probably create more difficulties than help you. If you want to build a really large site with WD using separate folders and linking them manually is the way to go.

Hi Donald

Good news bad news. The bad news is there is no easy way to just import your old website. You are going to have to pretty much start from square one. The good news is knowing what you know now, and given the look of most current sites, you can make your sites anything you want them to be. You can copy and paste from your existing sites into WD, but now's the chance to do all the things you never wanted to take the time to do.

Here's an old Xara Xone article that will show you how to create and manage a large website by creating several smaller sites http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/wo...kbook%201.html

Thanks for the link about large website management.

So if you're going to have a large site, break it down or into sub-sites right from the start. Just a little extra work with links and Web Properties but only once. Have seen problems when uploading large sites on several forums and complaints about having to load the whole site, especially if it was large. So less potential problems loading and you only have to load the section that changed. Makes sense.

Also this takes care of the problem of having a Supersite for mobile (if one chooses) that cannot be embedded or used in the same project with a "regular" website. Simple, just make it another sub-site.

I checked with my web host (in-motion) and they use a prefix in front of your main site for sub-sites. No problem.

Thanks everyone for your help! And your right, of course. I need to start from scratch, dig into the tutorials, check posts here, and see what I can do.

Kind Regards
    Donald

We're here to help.