Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Different Front and Back Textures?

I am using Xara 3D Maker to promote a membership card that spins. I need to be able to show a graphic texture on the front and a different one on the back as it spins. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Default Re: Different Front and Back Textures?

What you do is create and save it with the text and save it somewhere you can get to it. You need to do this for both the front and back. These will be your textures. Copy your first shape and paste in Xara 3D Maker. These need to be done with a vector program such as XP&GD10.

Now in Xara 3D Maker paste. this will give you a black shape which needs to be textured, so go to texture options and load one of the textures you created and align it to the shape if it isn't. Press enter and you will now see the textured shape. It may be too large to see the entire shape which mine usually is, so change the font size to something other than fit to width. I set this one to 2500pt.

Using the cursor (I-beam) hit enter and you will have a blank screen again with only the I-beam showing, so paste again and texture with side 2. Or with side 1 selected press enter any you will see the first image again which will need to be re-textured to show side 2

You may need to align the texture to the shape. Selecting each one with the I-beam and using the texture tool to align texture to shape.

now export your animation and you are finished.

ignore the attached gif because it is not working when I uploaded it here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotate tut.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	104368  
    Last edited by wizard509; 20 October 2014 at 10:04 PM. Reason: anim not working
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Welcome Phusion558,

Unfortunately this isn't easy to Xara3DMaker. It can be done but it's a complicated workaround involving two seperate animations and then combining them to create one, then for extra use for use on a website creating a new gif using screen-grabbing software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	credit-card.gif 
Views:	262 
Size:	498.8 KB 
ID:	104369  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Larry,

I missed your post - we must have been cross posting. It's years now since I used X3D in anger and I thought it was possible to change textures after a page break but when I tried it changed the texture on both pages. Have you got a xara3D file I could look at. Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ah, I know where I was going wrong. I was forgetting to Shift+Select the text shape to apply the second texture. Got it now.

Attached the X3D file.

Phusion 558 disregard my earlier post. It can all be done in X3D
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Thank you for replying so quickly guys. I am still confused on the steps I need to take to accomplish this. I am using Xara 3D Maker 7.

Phusion, do you have any other Xara software or vector software?
    Egg

I have Adobe Illustrator CS4. I loaded your .x3d file and I can see both sides. I am just a little fuzzy on how to replace your images with mine.

Phusion558, Sorry I do nor hav that program nor do I know how to use it and therefore cannot advise you properly on how to get that vector shape into Xara 3D Maker 7. It must be a vector shape, but the textures do not.
    That said If you can get your shape into Xara 3D Maker 7, it will show up as a black shape. It might help to make the baclground a different color so you can see it.
    Once you have that stop the default animation and go to animation options and change it to rotate, in this instance I don't think it makes any difference which one. 1 or 2

To select the shape you click on the cursor tool (I call it I-beam), anyway click on that and you will see a a bar next to your shape.
    To select the shape press shift and the left arrow key and the cursor will move to the left side and your shape will change color.
    Now to put your image on it you go to texture options and load texture, a box will pop up so navigate to your texture and click on it.
    This will texture your shape. You can now click on the cursor again and hide it.
    If necessary use the various controls in the texture options to align the texture to the shape.
    This is one side only and as it rotates both sides will be the same.

To make the other side click on the cursor tool again and press enter.
    This will give you a blank screen with only the cursor showing.
    Repeat the previous steps to make the other side. Play the animation and it should now rotate and each side should be different.
    If all is the way you want it, File/Export animation.

Done

Here is an x3d file so you can hopefully see how it works. I made the shape small in this one.

two sided rotation.X3D
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.