Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Variant issues

Default Variant issues

I completed my website and everything looked great. I created a variant according to the video tutorial. Although it was not as easy as the tutorial made it out to be I began reworking the design to fit the variant. Now my original website is messed up. Fonts are small (even though I did not shrink the font size for the variant), text is not aligned the way it was on the original and photo's are not the same.

Does anyone know how to fix it and if I delete the variant will I have to go back and rework the origianl? I know I was stupid by not creating a backup but I trusted the system

Thanks for the help

Diana

Default Re: Variant issues

That's a real bummer. Have you checked the help file on using variants? Take a look under "Sharing across variants" and "Multiple variants".

The program makes automatic backups. Click on the menu bar File>Open Recent>Backups. Now you can choose to open any of the backup files the program has saved for you. You may have still have a file with the whole website intact.

Quote Originally Posted by LIU View Post
    I completed my website and everything looked great. I created a variant according to the video tutorial. Although it was not as easy as the tutorial made it out to be I began reworking the design to fit the variant. Now my original website is messed up. Fonts are small (even though I did not shrink the font size for the variant), text is not aligned the way it was on the original and photo's are not the same.

Does anyone know how to fix it and if I delete the variant will I have to go back and rework the origianl? I know I was stupid by not creating a backup but I trusted the system

Thanks for the help

Diana
    I have that problem frequently. You can Select All to select everything on the page, then right click and select Website Variants and choose Stop Sharing with all variants.

You have to do that with every page.

I have asked the folks who make Xara to provide a way to Stop Sharing with All Variants on all pages - to turn off all variant sharing completely for those of us who don't want the automatic updating.

Maybe if enough of us request it, they will do it. They can leave Updating as the default, just give those of us who have websites with dozens of pages a simple way to Stop Sharing with All Variants on All Pages, so we don't have to remember to do it page by page or else have correct problems.

Not sure if XARA is implementing anything to Stop Sharing with All Variants on All Pages, but my vote is for them to offer some kind of simple setting that we can toggle. Would be much appreciated!!

I have asked the folks who make Xara to provide a way to Stop Sharing with All Variants on all pages - to turn off all variant sharing completely for those of us who don't want the automatic updating
    If you do this you're not making a variant of your site but a totally different indepenent site. If you want to acheive this just create your non variant website, save & publish it. Now in the same .xar file do a Save As to create the second version of the site and adjust page size, image sizes etc etc to create a totally independent version of the site. Basically the way you did it before variants were introduced.

What your asking for here is a non variant variant
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@ Diana,

Sorry to hear about the issues your experiencing and this shouldn't be happening. However without the .xar/.web file to view it's very difficult to say what's causing your problems. Could you post your xar/web file, even just a cut down version?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I, too, just created my first "responsive" website with variants... took forever. The things I changed on the mobile layout messed up the main site. I had to keep flipping back and forth to compare. Is there a split window so I can have both main & mobile pages side by side?

I would select all on a page and select stop sharing. I don't know how it would work with Egg Bramhill's suggestion of just copying and resizing the site... not sure when publishing if both sites would publish at same time and auto switch dependent on screen size.

The video tutorials make it look easy. It would be nice to be able to resize the text without it affecting the main site and if you do update the text both sites get updated. I also vote for an easier way to stop sharing variants - at least until it works better in real life. I'm just glad my site is only 6 pages. :-)

I think you can use text styles to be able to change the appearance of your text without changing it in all the variants,

But still let you update the contents of the text in all the variants at once.

http://support.xara.com/index.php?/K...cross-variants
    Last edited by dutchim; 12 December 2014 at 01:17 AM.