Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem closing a shape

Haven't been around for awhile, but always enjoy hookin' back in and checkin' up on new ideas.

I've become a bit rusty on Xara Designer, I suppose, and was hoping that someone might chime in and help me out. I've been doing some map-work in Mexico (along the Gulf coast). I'm currently trying to create a coastal-line that I can use to shape other overlay data. I can't, however get this darn shape to close so that I can do an Arrange > Combine shapes > subtract. Please the see attached .xar file for clarity. Of course, any constructive input would be awesome. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Problem closing a shape

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    Haven't been around for awhile, but always enjoy hookin' back in and checkin' up on new ideas.

I've become a bit rusty on Xara Designer, I suppose, and was hoping that someone might chime in and help me out. I've been doing some map-work in Mexico (along the Gulf coast). I'm currently trying to create a coastal-line that I can use to shape other overlay data. I can't, however get this darn shape to close so that I can do an Arrange > Combine shapes > subtract. Please the see attached .xar file for clarity. Of course, any constructive input would be awesome. Thanks.
    there are two locations where the line is not continuous.

I usually just double-click on the line, select a node, hit the home or end key and zoom in a little. Then move one node a tad away, move it back over the original place and it will connect.

In your case, there are two locations to do that to. However, knowing that there are only two locations, after one of them is fixed, you can again hit the home key and press enter.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002158.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	104276   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002159.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	104277  

Thanks so much. I'll peek at that, Mike. =)

Is there a "best" way to find out where the line(s) may be broken into to (where the controlling node points might be)? I can't seem to locate where they are (apparently you can). Thanks a bunch!

The handle size can be made larger using xareg...but zoom in. Select a node. Hit the end or home key. The drawing should move the now selected begin or end node into view.

When I create shapes I generally set the line width to 0 pixels, though it still defaults to .5 pixels unless I change it to zero before closing the shape. On those occassions that I cannot find the other end of the line, I change the line width to 4 pixels or some larger amount that makes the line much more visible so I can complete the closing of the shape. I change the line width to my preferred width afterwards.

Curtis,

Where did you get that shape from? Clicking on it states it's a line but it's a line you can't close. Did you import it from another program?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, it definitely can close. I did. There are two lines that make it up and so 4 ends.

Hi Mike. I agree but if you select it it states one line, but it's not one line. If you select it and Break Shapes it becomes two independant lines, therefore it's an odd shape. If you create two lines in Xara and select Add Shapes it becomes One Shape NOT one line
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think the lines were joined at some point, not add shapes.