Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to get true intersection of shapes

I have a shape with a shadow effect. I want to crop the shape by using the Intersecting Shapes method, so I place a rectangle over the area I want. The method works fine ... for the primary elements. But the full shadow gets carried over to the resulting shape.

One of the main reasons for cropping the shape is to lop off the end shadow, but keep the shadows in the other dimensions.

How might I accomplish that?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: How to get true intersection of shapes

I left an outline on the square I drew so it can be seen in the screen shot.

Draw a rectangle, send it to the back, select both shapes, press the letter q. This clips the angled rectangle with the shadow to the bounds of the square (or whatever shape).

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-002139.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	104232

"Apply ClipView". That worked! Thanks.

I had never used those features. I've been caught up in the 4 modes of combining shapes. ClipView seems simpler. For anyone following, I had to make the background shape transparent to keep from getting a shape-on-shape result.

Thanks for this tip.
    In P&LD10, there is no "apply clip view" command, but hitting Q does work.....

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Thanks for this tip.
    In P&LD10, there is no "apply clip view" command, but hitting Q does work.....
    Then you might also need to remember alt+q to remove a clipview...assuming that works.

Mike

And now you will find a hundred other uses for the Clipview

I hope I can remember all these useful tips & key shortcuts lol. Nice simple instructions.

I went back into shadow and selected another shadow with the result that it still follows the original shape, but in an irregular manner.

Thanks