Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drop Cap December 2013

This month is the letter C

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C with leaves.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	99623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	99624 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C new.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	99625
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Drop Cap December 2013

Looks like you have been busy Larry. They all look great.

I thought that since we are doing the letter C and it is December...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop C.png 
Views:	160 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	99628  
    Last edited by angelize; 02 December 2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: actually attaching the attachment might be helpful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Great idea Frances. Sorry to be late with my reply. I have been so busy that it's been difficult to be here as much as I should. We had a houseful of company to celebrate Thanksgiving, which we did this weekend, not Thursday. Fortunately I had my stuff done early, so all I had to do was post it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Christmas isn't as commercialized in this rural part of Spain, except on TV. No signs of it in our nearest town until about a fortnight beforehand, which seems about right to me.We seem to be in a time warp, stuck in the 1950s, which is where this drop cap comes from. The font is a nice slab serif, "Alphabet". Just a rectangle and a circle lopped off the four corners and the contour tool for this one.
    Bob.

Name:	Drop Cap C.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	99641  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Christmas isn't as commercialized in this rural part of Spain
    Bob.
    Good one Bob!
    Boy, Christmas sure is here. They started putting Christmas stuff up here even before Thanksgiving, actually shortly after Halloween. I know Christmas is the biggest time of year for the stores, but, give me a break, that behavior is relegating Thanksgiving to a holiday of no importance. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Spain? I know we do, and Canada does, but Australia does not.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Hi Larry,
    As far as I know, Thanksgiving isn't celebrated here. Christmas is celebrated, but not to the extent it is in the UK and USA. It shares equal importance with Epiphany (12th. Night on the 6th of January) which is the festival of the Three Kings, a time when the children receive presents and usually there are parades and floats where they get sweets (candy). It's a magical time, but not commercialized.

The attached Drop Cap is in the grunge style, using the Veneer 2 font (not free) but is occasionally available at the link for $9 which is a great deal, as the font family comes in lots of flavours.

The design was more difficult to achieve than it may look, as adding the outer contours and the frame took some fiddling to get the overall "stamp" effect, so that the various elements all had similar attributes.
    The outer frame also required the eraser tool to finish it off.
    Bob.

Name:	Drop Cap C2.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	99676  
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 07 December 2013 at 11:01 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Spain? I know we do, and Canada does, but Australia does not.
    Nor do we celebrate it here. The first harvest in the "New World" is not often on the minds of folk not in the "New World"
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Thanks for the info guys.
    @ Bob you did a great job with that drop cap. I own that font family too. It's a nice looking font but so far I haven't had occasion to use it. It's interesting how you did the outer contours.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

This one was made using the inner contour tool again, and then copying it to the clipboard.
    Next I used the Extrusion Tool to create a head-on 3D with maximum perspective,
    which gave me a visual template of the result I was looking for.
    I redrew the extruded parts, deleted the original 3D, then pasted in place the contour work.
    This meant that I was left with a pure vector result, which reminded me of the artwork often seen
    on fairground rides. Font used: LHF Conclave Rounded.
    Bob.

Name:	C3.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	99686  

Yes, this really is a "C".
    Pauline

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop cap5.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	99933