Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pop up layer question

I've attached rough layout of a shopping centre showing where each shop is situated. I've created a pop up layer for each shop so that when you move the cursor over - say TH1 CMAI Architects on the right hand side, the yellow block with TH1 on it pops up - I've set this this in the mouse over tab.
    Everything works fine but, when hovering over the shops name, the "pointy finger icon" doesn't appear - just a cursor like when you select text - is there a way to change this?
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopping centre.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	104087

Default Re: Pop up layer question

The image you posted is the mouseoff image right? And the areas link to pop up layers?

I added 99% transparent rectangles to your drawing (I also rotated the drawing so the rectangles would match the spaces). Created layers and linked the transparent rectangles to the layers.

When I preview I see the hand cursor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popup.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	104088  

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    I've attached rough layout of a shopping centre showing where each shop is situated. I've created a pop up layer for each shop so that when you move the cursor over - say TH1 CMAI Architects on the right hand side, the yellow block with TH1 on it pops up - I've set this this in the mouse over tab.
    Everything works fine but, when hovering over the shops name, the "pointy finger icon" doesn't appear - just a cursor like when you select text - is there a way to change this?
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shopping centre.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	104087
    What you need to do is soft-group the text with the shape and then apply the mouse-over link to the layer for both text and shape.
    As the text is not linked and on top of the shape, it obscures the link.

Soft-grouping is better as it renders text as text and the shape as an image.
    It also allows you to add roll-over effects (like a button) to make the the link discovery more visual.

Acorn

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The image you posted is the mouseoff image right? And the areas link to pop up layers?

I added 99% transparent rectangles to your drawing (I also rotated the drawing so the rectangles would match the spaces). Created layers and linked the transparent rectangles to the layers.

When I preview I see the hand cursor.
    No Gary, that was a screen shot of the mouse hovering over the text to show the yellow rectangle denoting the relevant shop - you can see the text cursor in the TH1 CMAI Architects text...
    The idea is to hover over the shop name on the right hand side and have the relevant block "light up".

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    What you need to do is soft-group the text with the shape and then apply the mouse-over link to the layer for both text and shape.
    As the text is not linked and on top of the shape, it obscures the link.

Soft-grouping is better as it renders text as text and the shape as an image.
    It also allows you to add roll-over effects (like a button) to make the the link discovery more visual.

Acorn

Acorn
    Hi Acorn, tried your method - it makes no difference - when you hover over the shop name on the right, it still shows as a "text cursor".
    I've attached the web file.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    THT2B pop up.web

Mike, thank you for the file.

What you need it to place a box over the text, make it 99% transparent and link that to your Mouse-over layer.
    Then for the link itself, to get the mouse-over hand, add a # to the Link to Web or Email address.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mike, thank you for the file.

What you need it to place a box over the text, make it 99% transparent and link that to your Mouse-over layer.
    Then for the link itself, to get the mouse-over hand, add a # to the Link to Web or Email address.

Acorn
    As usual Acorn, you're a star!
    Thank you very much.
    Regards,
    Mike