Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default September 2014 Tips and Tricks - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top-page-billboard.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	104015

Xara’s Extrude tool is good for making cut-out shapes and swooping text, but did you know you can also build complex, photorealistic shapes? Like a toy train, or the pages in the billboard above, and even a long lens for an SLR camera. Rik Datta takes you through the precise steps to build a marvelously intricate long camera lens this month, and the techniques you’ll learn can take you to even greater creative heights. Or at least 250mm f1.4.

Check out Rik's technique and then show us your extrudes.......
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Default September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Remember about three years ago, and I did a video using Video Home Producer version negative 3 from Tiger Direct...and I showed that if you rotate an extruded circle in a particular way, a column shape in 3D is the result?

Rik Datta took this to a whole new level: this tutorial, complete with specific Infobar values set in nice tables (which took the Admin about three hours to cobble and I owe her dinner for that!), shows you how to design an absolutely stunning long lens for a dSLR or SLR camera, like so:

Name:	Rik's-lens.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	104016

It's always exciting around here for a contributing member to break with the predictability in presentation with the videos I do, and the result of Rik's instructions will floor you.

This is all done using only extrusions.

Get into this one: it's great stuff!

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Great tutorial Rik. I can't wait to do it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: September 2014 Guest Tute - Creating illustrations With Only Extrudes

Rik thanks for sharing and for the tutorial,

I went without the cheat sheet trying to reproduce the shapes by the steps, however found rather hard as sometimes did not press enter or the clipboard contained the last copied color so at the end came out slightly differently

Name:	lenses.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	104061

Was being not sure during the process what is the direction of the lights visually, just for those who would like to reproduce it a good tip can be to know that selecting all the shapes and switching on the lights, with grabbing one light all of them together can be moved to produce consequent lighting

That's a very good top, csehz.

I thought it was better to give all he figures for the angles and lighting. That way, you can produce the lens, with the correct lighting.
    Then, you can experiment.

I like what you've done.
    You've got two bright light sources.
    Why not finish it off with the remaining parts of the lens?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

I know that lens is not for that target , but maybe let's extrude a monitor beside with browsing to the XaraXone page and..

Name:	XaraXoneLens2.png 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	104074

XaraXoneLens.xar
    Last edited by csehz; 29 September 2014 at 07:37 PM.

I'm going to have to do higher resolution tutorials, csehz!

-g

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    I know that lens is not for that target , but maybe let's extrude a monitor beside with browsing to the XaraXone page and..

Name:	XaraXoneLens2.png 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	104074

XaraXoneLens.xar
    Cute, cshez. Beware the all seeing XaraXone!
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

That's a real cool idea, cshez.
    I like it.

The lens parts on the right hand side are really shiny, but the ones on the left side are not.
    Though you are the designer, I would have expected the materials to be similar, and therefore the reflections to be similar.
    What would you say?!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Apologies in advance, Rik, for butting into a question not directed at me: is it conceivable that a multi-element long lens would be made of different typesof plastic and metal...some shiny and some dull? I'm sure your point is well taken concerning consistency, though.

You're also presenting what we called in advertising a "beauty shot" of the lens, an idealized illustration that the real product will surely not look as good as, out of the box. Bear with me here: there are few things as visually boring as the front lens on a camera: it's just a convex piece of reflective glass because the back side is dark, therefore it becomes more mirrorlike than transparency.

A zillion years ago when I did print at an ad agency, the photographer I hired would do highly reflective materials inside a white tent and illuminate from the outside to preserve whits in silverware and other mirror-like finishes on products. Then we'd "paint" character and detail into the objects through the use of softboxes (A box with a light inside, with one side covered with heavily diffused material...casting no hard shadows). Finally, we'd hang black or colored strips of paper off camera for the object to pick up.

This is my attempt to add visual data to the lens glass, and the file is attached.

Name:	lens-reflections.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	104081

I now we turn you to your regularly-scheduled moderator and host...

My Best,

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files