Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

OK, being the accountant I am, I need to have a more objective way of defining good color combinations. I know that white and black are considered "opposites" with RGB values of 255/255/255 and 0/0/0, respectively. Does it then follow that any two colors whose respective RGB values total to 255 would be considered "opposites" and, therefore have high contrast?

I need to be able to express and define color combinations in a language I can understand -- numbers. I get frustrated when I find a good color visually, but don't know which ones best complement it.

Are there any hard-and-fast rules that can be observed? Am I making any sense?

.joroho.

http://www.joroho.com/initials.gif
    Wise men still seek Him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Clements:
    Change your Xara default options to the RGB color model and color units 0 -255.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok John, how do you change the colour units from % to 0-255 ?

I recommend Looking Good in Color published by Ventana Press. Written by your's truly. It is out of print but you can find used copies on the web at vaious on-line book sellers.

It is a fun way of looking at color artistically. Maybe not written for bean counters, but then if you were just a bean counter, Joel, you would not be hanging out here.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

Bitmap editor + RGB color values + Invert

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

OK, being the accountant I am, I need to have a more objective way of defining good color combinations. I know that white and black are considered "opposites" with RGB values of 255/255/255 and 0/0/0, respectively. Does it then follow that any two colors whose respective RGB values total to 255 would be considered "opposites" and, therefore have high contrast?

I need to be able to express and define color combinations in a language I can understand -- numbers. I get frustrated when I find a good color visually, but don't know which ones best complement it.

Are there any hard-and-fast rules that can be observed? Am I making any sense?

.joroho.

http://www.joroho.com/initials.gif
    Wise men still seek Him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grafix Smelter:

Ok John, how do you change the colour units from % to 0-255 ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Under "Utilities/Options" pick the "Units" tab and in the area "Color Units" select the "0-255" radio button.

J

I prefer the HSV model for understanding color. I cannot relate to RGB by seeing a set of numbers and knowing the color. When you know the hue number, you know the color. Saturation and value follow. I put some information in the Gallery some time ago about the subject. Rich

I've appended this to an old but related thread. The Jan 2004 issue of the UK mag PC Pro has a few good tips on using HSV/HSL numbers for picking related colours.

I have linked this to another source in the attached XaraX file.

Have I got this right - and does it help anyone else too?!

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hello Joroho,

Yes opposites attract.

Here is a link: http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/www/tools/colours/

The "Visibone" link on the page has an interactive colour wheel that shows the "inverted" numbers as you mentioned.

Good luck!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

I believe Jens had XAR file which has a color wheel. That might be helpful for you.

Change your Xara default options to the RGB color model and color units 0 -255.

Create a rectangle near Jens illustration and make sure the rectangle remains selected, then open the Color Editor dialog and drag its eydropper over the illustration and watch how the RGB values change.