Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Single Object Overlap Solved

(I am posting this as a seperate thread for a solution to "Quickgrass McGrath" and "when a filled closed shape has an overlap" so people can find it later if they need it)
    If you have a single shape that has elements of itself overlapping, thereby creating a transparent common area, and you want to get rid of that effect, the following works:

In the image Overlap 1, you see the original shape with the transparent intersection area. Using the Freehand Tool with a low Freehand Smoothing level (for accuracy), draw a shape through the four corners that define the intersection (Overlap 2). Select All. Then: Arrange >> Combine Shapes >> Add Shapes to achieve Overlap 3.

Notes: When you draw that amorphus shape intesecting the four points (Overlap 2), at high Zoom it isn't hard to pass through the exact intersection spots. But if you should miss towards the outside a little, you get a little extra bump in the crook of the final shape. If you miss on the inside, you get a little loop jog in the line in the final shape. But it all does work.

If I decide to go this route with my illustrations in all instances where grass or foliage overlaps for example, I'll certainly have my hands "filled". I may just use it to correct overlap that happens accidentally within one shape... as is the case when the paths of Shape Editor or Freehand shapes (at higher smoothing level) bow out into an adjoining area of the same object. As I mentioned in the other threads, I will also simply draw on top of other shapes and group to create an overlapped effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OverlapMethod.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	3576  

Single Object Overlap Solved

(I am posting this as a seperate thread for a solution to "Quickgrass McGrath" and "when a filled closed shape has an overlap" so people can find it later if they need it)
    If you have a single shape that has elements of itself overlapping, thereby creating a transparent common area, and you want to get rid of that effect, the following works:

In the image Overlap 1, you see the original shape with the transparent intersection area. Using the Freehand Tool with a low Freehand Smoothing level (for accuracy), draw a shape through the four corners that define the intersection (Overlap 2). Select All. Then: Arrange >> Combine Shapes >> Add Shapes to achieve Overlap 3.

Notes: When you draw that amorphus shape intesecting the four points (Overlap 2), at high Zoom it isn't hard to pass through the exact intersection spots. But if you should miss towards the outside a little, you get a little extra bump in the crook of the final shape. If you miss on the inside, you get a little loop jog in the line in the final shape. But it all does work.

If I decide to go this route with my illustrations in all instances where grass or foliage overlaps for example, I'll certainly have my hands "filled". I may just use it to correct overlap that happens accidentally within one shape... as is the case when the paths of Shape Editor or Freehand shapes (at higher smoothing level) bow out into an adjoining area of the same object. As I mentioned in the other threads, I will also simply draw on top of other shapes and group to create an overlapped effect.

PS In illustrator 10, the Pathfinder tool does same thing as above.