Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Surface Pro 3 - Stylus won't draw using pencil tool, but finger will (Xara DP X10

I've got a surface pro 3. Really excited about using Designer Pro X10 but I can't get the pencil to actually draw on screen with the stylus. If I use my finger I can draw using the pencil tool. Can anyone let me know if there's a setting I can use to make it work? I thought it was working with the Wacom Digitizer but the Surface Pro 3 uses an N-Trig driver and maybe settings are different.

In any case, please help! And yes I do have the toolbar icon for pen drawing pushed in. I forgot what the option is but I've tried with all 3 of those options in and out in combinations.

Default Re: Surface Pro 3 - Stylus won't draw using pencil tool, but finger will (Xara DP X10

the last I heard there was a problem... see here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-Does-it-work

don't know if anything came of it... you may want to raise a support ticket...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Surface Pro 3 - Stylus won't draw using pencil tool, but finger will (Xara DP X10

I've got the Surface 3 Pro here as well and I REALLY like it. There are a few things you might need to do to get it working fully. Here are the two things I recall changing to get it to work with the pen.

1. You need to add the WinTab drivers. You can get them here: http://www.ntrig.com/Content.aspx?Pa...nloads_Drivers
    2. You might need to modify a key in the registry to turn pressure sensitivity on. Here's the key I believe I used: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\10\Options\Dragging then change the EnableTouch DWORD to 0. Two things: a. I know this seems counter-intuitive: you'd think you need to turn this to 1 to turn it on, but 0 is the correct value. and b. You need to make sure that you are not in Xara when you make this change or when you close out of Xara it will get set back to 1 and when you start Xara it will still not work.

Do those two tips get it working for you?

Tried and tested on an Acer R7. The trouble is that WinTAB drivers are specifically written for Adobe products. Xara doesn't see them. The N-Trig pen isn't recognized by Xara. Hence, no pressure sensitivity... bummer. Raise that ticker, you'll get the answer: "Oops, we have an issue. We'll look into it..."

More info on http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...g-Does-it-work

Michael,

Whatever the exact case may be, I can tell you definitively that the Surface Pro 3 with the N-Trig pen works in Xara with pressure sensitivity with the above changes. Only one of these changes did not do it - I had to apply both to get it to work. Maybe the Acer is different, but it's working here. Here's an example video in X9 but when my trial was active, it was the same in X10.

http://screencast.com/t/SQbc3WJS3

michaelbuddy - did these instructions work for you?

oh, I envy you. I send the Acer back for whatever I tried, it wouldn't work. Tested on Windows 64bit (as that was tha OS delivered with it and x64 drivers.

As I'm still looking for new PC's to replace our creaky Toshiba's Portege M700 your help would be very welcome. Right now we are waiting for the Fujitsu's T904 to become cheaper.

Would you please post waht software you used and which drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    oh, I envy you. I send the Acer back for whatever I tried, it wouldn't work. Tested on Windows 64bit (as that was tha OS delivered with it and x64 drivers.

As I'm still looking for new PC's to replace our creaky Toshiba's Portege M700 your help would be very welcome. Right now we are waiting for the Fujitsu's T904 to become cheaper.

Would you please post waht software you used and which drivers?
    As mentioned above: I have the Surface Pro 3 (Win 8.1(update 1) 64 bit) + the NTrig drivers I linked to above with either X9 or X10 and the registry settings changes above. Nothing else special here.

Does that help?

I just got a SP3, and was/is disappointed to see it not sketching via stylus out of the gate. I made did the steps that you suggested (slavelle - thanks, but still no go. I'll reboot/ investigate further..

EDIT>
    OK - went back and saw that the key had reverted back to 1. Changed and I'm good to go!!!!!

Thank you so much slavelle - I would have never figured that out, and I basically bought this device for this fxnality. I'm in your debt.

Wooohoo!
    Last edited by edm3; 30 November 2014 at 12:54 AM.