Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Good day all!

I seem to remember some tips or tutorials on reducing the 'banding' effect that occurs during jpeg compression (other than reducing the compression setting in PSP). I see this mostly when I save a picture with a smooth gradient ...

I seem to remember something about adding noise so that less compression occurs in the smooth area however I can not find anything in any of the tutorials... I'm looking for a method that does not visibly alter the picture too much.

Thanks!
    IP

Good day all!

I seem to remember some tips or tutorials on reducing the 'banding' effect that occurs during jpeg compression (other than reducing the compression setting in PSP). I see this mostly when I save a picture with a smooth gradient ...

I seem to remember something about adding noise so that less compression occurs in the smooth area however I can not find anything in any of the tutorials... I'm looking for a method that does not visibly alter the picture too much.

Thanks!
    IP

Like you said, adding noise is what usually works for me. The amount to use will vary from graphic to graphic. Anyone else having any tips on this?

Carolyn [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Usually adding uniform noise at a setting of 2 or 3 will take out the banding. Play with the numbers to see what works best for you.

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

Thanks,

I'll give that a try... (See - people do check back and read the replies... Keep up the good comments)

Cheers.
    IP