Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Drop Cap September 2014

This month is L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	103643 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New L.png 
Views:	409 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	103644 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stained Glass L.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	103645
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Default Re: Drop Cap September 2014

Hi Larry, thanks for this month's challenge.
    Of all the letters, I find I, J and L are the least interesting. So I was looking for a distinctive L to use this month. Attached is The Upper Case L from Nick's Fonts - Speedball No2 NF Bold.
    Despite the appearance of this drop cap, the result is pure vector. Not one pixel in the .xar file. What seem to be gradient fills are in fact inner contours with 500 steps, which create this metallic texture. If you were to copy the graphic into Illustrator, it would still be a bunch of vector shapes, which would not be the case if you were using gradient fills. (not that a gradient fill could follow the shape of the L in any case - or indeed the rounded rectangular frame) This is why the Contour tool is my favourite in the Xara toolbox, it's versatile, flexible and adaptable. This isn't the case in some other vector programs - how are contours working out for you guys using Serif DrawPlus?
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	103649  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Webby has got me into cubes recently, so here's mine.

Name:	letter-l.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	103651  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I like those Bob and Egg. Cool and possibly rusty I-beams Egg.
    I know Webby is a regular on XU, but does he ever visit and contribute to TG? If he needs an invitation please do.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Post Re: Drop Cap September 2014

Hi

"L" is my wife's name initial letter, I've "embroidered" this for her

Name:	drop cap september Max.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	103658

Max

Pretty cool maxcon62. Just curious bow did you got that crochet look? Who knows, I may want to do that sometime.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Pretty cool maxcon62. Just curious bow did you got that crochet look? Who knows, I may want to do that sometime.
    First, I've observed carefully some crochets .

I've drawn the "L" with "shape tool". then I've created the holes with "Eraser tool" ... it has been a long work
    I'm going to show you the vector draw

Name:	drop cap september vectors.png 
Views:	524 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	103665

Finally, I've applied a Canvas texture (from the "fabric" library), I've used Transparency function modifying the "Transparency profile" (I've followed an Angelize tutorial on "Distressed Text")

That's all.

Max

Very nice job, I admire your patience.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Another contour drop cap, this time using the Storybook font, plus the Lots of Frames font for the frame.
    I also used a grungy texture, to which I gave a fractal plasma transparency to get the aged effect.
    Bob.

Name:	L2.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	103668  

Thank you Max. You sure did a lot of work to do that, but the end result is awesome. My hat is off to you. For anyone reading this, it shows that it's not always as easy as pushing a button and expecting the software to do it for you. What it does show is having an idea and the determination to make it happen. Well done Max.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509