Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to make a post-it look crumpled up and then flattend out with wrinkles?

Hi Everybody,

I have a notion to make a series of "Post-It" like notes, one for each month. (I have Web-Designer 9 and even an older Xara X1)

I'm hanging up on the thought of making each of them look like the "Post-It" was crumpled up in a ball, and then flattened out again, with all of the expected wrinkles.

Is there a tutorial (somewhere in that massive library at Xara) that will get me started on this notion?

Many thanks
    -Paul-
    Last edited by Paul Bruneau; 31 August 2014 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added application in fo

Default Re: How to make a post-it look crumpled up and then flattend out with wrinkles?

Why don't you do exactly that and scan it or photograph it; you won't have to fight against realism.
    You can then use the result as a bitmap fill.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: How to make a post-it look crumpled up and then flattend out with wrinkles?

The most realistic way has been mentioned. And there are relatively inexpensive, high-quality images available from the typical suppliers.

If you do draw it, use a Named Color. Once your draw the various pieces, use the Shade of another color on those pieces. Then when you want a different color, you just change the one Named color...like this quickly drawn Post-It note...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001943.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	103600

Name:	capture-001945.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	103601

Free textures http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.p...rowse&q=101501

I added a pale yellow square with Stained Glass transparency over the two best samples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crumpled paper.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	103602  

Duh.....

Good Point, Acorn.
    (Must've been a brain fart)

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Free textures http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.p...rowse&q=101501

I added a pale yellow square with Stained Glass transparency over the two best samples.
    In that case, I think adjusting light/dark conotones works out better for coloring a wrinkled paper texture...Just Google for free crumpled/wrinkled paper textures. Saves scanning...

Name:	capture-001946.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	103603

Right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crumpled paper 2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	103604  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Right.
    Can you tell I am bored today? ...

Name:	capture-001947.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	103605

Name:	crumple.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	103606
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

BTW, because Named Colors can be tied to conotones, the attached file can have the color changed rather easily.

Once opened, open the Color Editor. I switch to HSV to make it easy. Then, for the Fill Color dropdown, choose MainColor. Now just move the slider along the bottom to change color...

Name:	capture-001949.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	103607
    Attached Files Attached Files