Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Out of memory message every time I handle large photos

I have Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10 which I use exclusively for working with photos and other images. My computer is brand new and I paid a lot of extra money to get 16 GB of RAM and I still get the out of memory message whenever I try to enhance a photo such as using the content aware photo resize. Is there a way that I can allocate additional space to resize my photos. I've tried using the utilities for increasing the amount of memory and that is still not enough. How can I make more memory available since I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive and 16GB of RAM. Thanks for any and all advice.

Manny

Default Re: Out of memory message every time I handle large photos

P&GD is a 32bit app and cannot access more than 3.25Gb or memory. You need to upgrade to a 64bit version eg: Designer Pro X10
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

John - Isn't there some tweak that lets you computer use more memory? I know I used it for my stereogram generating program but I used it once and have no idea what I did. But it did help.

Can't recall anything Gary, sorry.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

There is a utility in a thread either here or at XU that some have used to give a 32-bit application (in this case, an Xara .exe) access to more system memory (RAM). It opens the executable, you make the change, it resaves the executable.

I personally would not use it and it does not work on all 32-bit applications. Want access to more RAM? Buy a 64-bit application that is written properly to access and utilize more RAM.

It would be helpful if the OP would supply an image of such dimensions that causes issue. Best if submitted to Xara in a support ticket. But if the OP wants other users of PG&D to test, it likely needs uploaded to dropbox.com and a link provided.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    John - Isn't there some tweak that lets you computer use more memory? I know I used it for my stereogram generating program but I used it once and have no idea what I did. But it did help.
    gary, would it have been http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...moval-utility?
    A tad risky in my opinion.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

interestingly enough when I checked with the latest version of that utility, the switch for using memory greater than 2GB was already active for both 32bit XDPX and for another 32bit app I looked at

[win 8.1 64bit OS]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

According to Covoxer on that thread "... it will not push the limit further than about 3.5Gb anyway" ;-(

no it wouldn't... because of 32bit addressing limitations

I use SAI which has UI memory adjustment - in there it states that the [theoretical] maximum memory for the program is 4GB [that will included addressing I think] under my current OS - which is what prompted me to check with the CFF Explorer utility

I think that windows installer already takes this into account in the latest OS installations, based on what I found...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Memory limit is 4GB for PGD on a 64 bit system, 3Gb on a 32bit OS:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

I'm more concerned however that you are receiving this error on a single photo, how big is it? Can you drop me the photo at http://support.xara.com/ so I can run some tests?

Thanks
    Rob