Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Adding and keeping the Pen tool on the Toolbar

I wish we had a better knowledge base on tg, because I used to know how to do this.

In their infinite wisdom, Xara has not only taken the Pen tool out of the drawing group on the Toolbar, but if you're clever, tyou can find it on the Button Palette under Window> Control Bars, open the button palette and there it is.

My problem, which I know is solvable, is that the $%^%^*& Pen tool disappears after you close out and then restart Xara.

Is there a Registry hack or something simpler? Simpler than learning the Shape tool?

TIA,

Gary

Default Re: Adding and keeping the Pen tool on the Toolbar

Not sure if there is a way to get it into the drawing tools flyout.

But I dutifully create a custom toolbar with every new release containing things like the Align tool, cut, copy, paste, import, export, group and print.

I add this to the Infobar where it remains until the next release when I have to create it all over again.

And of course the easy way is XaReg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaReg.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	103493  

I don't normally have the fly-out button, but I added it for the screen shot. I simply have all of them separately. It is a registry switch. Use XaReg.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001896.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	103494

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001895.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	103495

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Actually that Xareg setting does add the pen tool to the drawing tool flyout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

ShowPenToolOnFlyout

in
    ......Options\FlyoutBars

should you feel inclined to edit the registry directly

I dislike flyoutbars, I'd just create a new custom bar with it on, like Gary...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes, it does, Frances. That's why I added the fly-out back to my toolbar so show it.

If you're brave and want to change the registry setting, then see the info below:-

Navigate to:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Spftware\Xara\XtremePro\9.2\Opti ons\FlyoutBars

Then change the value of ‘ShowPenToolOnFlyout’ from ‘0’ to ‘1’

I don't have Designer Pro 10, but imagine that the registry path will be similar.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Thanks all, for the speedy help. Handrawn and Rik made me remember where the registry value reset, so it took 2 seconds to get the Pen tool permanently on the Toolbar from session to session, and not in the drawing tools group, Life is Good, thanks again.

There's more than enough room to put standalone tools you use a lot, when you run 1280 x 960 or greater (I still have a 19" 4x3 screen), and that's true of the Standard Bar, too. You can life without the undo, redo and Delete buttons (um, there's keyboard keys that do this!) so create more room for frequently used menu commands. I put most of the Arrange tools...the Boolean operators on the Standard Bar instead of opening the toolbar and keeping it open from session to session.

I need the Pen tool, been using Bézier curves for more than 20 years. I acknowledge and endorse the reality that some prefer the Shape tool. Almond Joy has nuts, Mounds has none.

My Best,

Gary

The setting is misnamed both in the registry and in a sense in XaReg. All that setting does is make the registry setting enabled/disabled that Rik typed out.

If the setting is 0, one can only add the pen tool for the session regardless of where one puts it. When it is enabled, it allows putting the pen tool on any toolbar and/or the fly-out if that is enabled.

I'm a mounds guy.

What I was seeking, and found, was a way to get the damned thing to "stick", to remain where I placed it from session to session. I don't give a tinker's cuss where the tool is, on a flyout, on a fly trap, or a fly out to right field, just that it doesn't disappear on me in the next session.

I's be happy if I put it the Virtual Clone Drive's toolbar, as long as it stayed there!

Wait, erm, strike that last one...

-g